Harvard Poll: Nearly 70 Percent of Americans Want a Secure Border

According to a recent Harvard/Harris poll, nearly 70 percent of all Americans want to see tougher border policies implemented to stop the ongoing mass migration crisis.

Breitbart reports that 68 percent of all respondents want to see the border locked down, including 73 percent of independents in swing states. Those polled gave their answers once they were told the following information:

“Over 2.75 million came into the United States illegally over a twelve-month period ending September 2022, and more than 1.2 million have crossed since then. Given these numbers, should the administration continue its current policies or issue new, stricter policies to reduce the flow of people coming across the border?”

Independents overwhelmingly oppose the open border, with 57 percent stating that Biden’s pro-immigration stance is facilitating the mass smuggling of lethal drugs into the country; 53 percent of overall respondents feel the same way. Overall, 27 percent of respondents listed immigration as their top issue, making it the second-highest-ranked issue for respondents, only behind 34 percent who ranked inflation as their top priority.

But when broken down by party affiliation, the poll still found that as many as 48 percent of Democrats still support the current open-borders policies of the Biden Administration, which have directly contributed to the flood of illegal aliens that has been storming the southern border since Biden first took power over two years ago.

When asked to guess the number of illegal aliens entering the country, 56 percent of respondents incorrectly guessed that the total is less than 500,000 per year, while another 19 percent believed that the number is between 500,000 and one million. In actuality, over 4.5 million illegal aliens have illegally entered the country since Biden took over. Biden, as well as most of the other Democratic candidates for president in 2020, repeatedly promised on the campaign trail to provide free, taxpayer-funded benefits for illegals, including healthcare, housing, and education.

In addition, another 68 percent said that “people who cross the border with Mexico illegally should be turned back to Mexico,” while the remaining 32 percent said that such illegals should be “released into the US with a court date.” Overall, a total of 79 percent of respondents described immigration as a “serious” issue, with 51 percent calling it “very serious,” while another 28 percent called it “somewhat serious.”

The poll was conducted from May 17th to May 18th, with a sample of 2,004 registered voters. The survey itself was overseen by Mark Penn, the chairman of the Harris Poll; Dritan Nesho, the CEO of HarrisX; and Stephen Ansolabehere, former director of Harvard University’s Center for American Political Studies.

Get the news corporate media won't tell you.

Get caught up on today's must read stores!

By submitting your information, you agree to receive exclusive AG+ content, including special promotions, and agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms. By providing your phone number and checking the box to opt in, you are consenting to receive recurring SMS/MMS messages, including automated texts, to that number from my short code. Msg & data rates may apply. Reply HELP for help, STOP to end. SMS opt-in will not be sold, rented, or shared.

About Eric Lendrum

Eric Lendrum graduated from the University of California, Santa Barbara, where he was the Secretary of the College Republicans and the founding chairman of the school’s Young Americans for Freedom chapter. He has interned for Young America’s Foundation, the Heritage Foundation, and the White House, and has worked for numerous campaigns including the 2018 re-election of Congressman Devin Nunes (CA-22). He is currently a co-host of The Right Take podcast.

Photo: Photo by John Moore/Getty Images