Former U.S. Attorney Joe diGenova said Monday that the Justice Department will begin declassifying documents this week, echoing what the Hill’s John Solomon reported on Friday. He also said that U.S. Attorney John Durham’s investigation of the investigators is moving very quickly and a grand jury has been convened.
“The declassification process will start this week,” diGenova said on WMAL Radio Monday morning. “There are going to be documents released I think by Wednesday. The attorney general as I understand it, is in the process of getting those ready to come out.”
The attorney told WMAL that the first documents that are going to be released are the ones that Rep Devin Nunes (R-CA) requested. He said a series of other releases will come after that.
DiGenova said that Durham is “progressing very, very quickly” in his investigation, and made sure to point out that it was a criminal investigation–not a “review.”
“This is a criminal investigation of senior DOJ and FBI officials from the Obama administration and intelligence community people–including John Brennan,” he declared. “This is a federal grand jury. This is not a review. This is not an IG audit.”
He added: “This is a criminal investigation of a bunch of people who tried to seditiously overthrow the president of the United States.”
DiGenova explained that the reason the documents were not released sooner is because outgoing Director of National Intelligence (DNI) Dan Coats and FBI Director Christopher Wray had been blocking their release.
“They were fighting tooth and nail — phony cover-ups allegedly to protect sources and methods when Chris Wray was simply trying to protect the FBI from hugely embarrassing details that are going to come out,” he said.
See The Conservative Treehouse for a comprehensive list of all the material the Justice Department may be about to release.