Mystery Company Makes $800M Purchase of California Farmland Near Air Base

After a mysterious company suddenly made a nearly billion-dollar purchase of farmland surrounding an air base in California, some in Congress are sounding the alarm over national security concerns.

According to the Washington Free Beacon, over 52,000 acres worth of land in Solano County was purchased for $800 million; the land surrounds Travis Air Force Base. The purchase was made by a company called Flannery Associates, with a company attorney claiming that it is registered in Delaware and controlled by U.S. citizens, receiving at least 97 percent of its capital from American investors, with the remaining 3 percent from Irish and British investors. Nevertheless, the company’s low profile and sudden mass purchase of such strategically significant land has raised alarms in Congress.

“What is this all about?” asked Congressman John Garamendi (D-Calif.). “Why is an unknown, non-communicative secret organization buying up all the land around Travis Air Force Base?”

The base is located in Garamendi’s district, District 8, although at least one investor involved in the project has since claimed that the purchase has no connections to China or national security. An attorney for the company denounced any “speculation” about the purchase being “motivated by the proximity to Travis Air Force Base” as unfounded.

“There’s no shortage of rumors of what may or may not be happening,” said Congressman Mike Thompson (D-Calif.), another congressman whose district also includes portions of Solano County. “We just don’t know.”

In recent years, various foreign-owned companies have attempted to buy land in close proximity to military bases and other strategic assets in states such as North Dakota and Texas, with the culprits most often being Chinese. Two states, Montana and Florida, have since enacted legislation banning future Chinese purchases of American land, while similar bills are being considered by Texas and Alabama.

On Tuesday, the U.S. Senate overwhelmingly passed an amendment to the annual National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) banning purchases of American farmland by China, Russia, Iran, and North Korea; the measure passed with 91 votes in favor and only 7 votes against.

Get the news corporate media won't tell you.

Get caught up on today's must read stores!

By submitting your information, you agree to receive exclusive AG+ content, including special promotions, and agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms. By providing your phone number and checking the box to opt in, you are consenting to receive recurring SMS/MMS messages, including automated texts, to that number from my short code. Msg & data rates may apply. Reply HELP for help, STOP to end. SMS opt-in will not be sold, rented, or shared.

About Eric Lendrum

Eric Lendrum graduated from the University of California, Santa Barbara, where he was the Secretary of the College Republicans and the founding chairman of the school’s Young Americans for Freedom chapter. He has interned for Young America’s Foundation, the Heritage Foundation, and the White House, and has worked for numerous campaigns including the 2018 re-election of Congressman Devin Nunes (CA-22). He is currently a co-host of The Right Take podcast.

Photo: TIPTON, IA - JULY 13: Corn and soybeans grow on a farm on July 13, 2018 near Tipton, Iowa. Farmers in Iowa and the rest of the country, who are already faced with decade-low profits, are bracing for the impact a trade war with China may have on their bottom line going forward. (Photo by Scott Olson/Getty Images)