Fox News reports, health officials, from the Chinese city of Wuhan where the global coronavirus pandemic began, told reporters, the city’s hospitals now have no remaining coronavirus patients.
National Health Commission spokesman Mi Feng said at a briefing Sunday, “The latest news is that by April 26, the number of new coronavirus patients in Wuhan was at zero, thanks to the joint efforts of Wuhan and medical staff from around the country.”
According to Fox News, “there have been nearly three million confirmed coronavirus cases across the globe and 206,000 known deaths. The number of those infected is likely far higher because in many cases, the virus has relatively minor symptoms. The U.S. currently leads the world with 965,000 cases.”
The lockdown in Wuhan was lifted on April 8, however there are still restrictions in the city. Healthy citizens need permits to use public transportation or enter a restaurant.
Many critics believe the official statistics of fatalities in China overall from the virus since the outbreak began there late last year are vastly underreported.
The U.S. has been suspicious of Beijing’s early steps in allegedly suppressing key information about the virus and there are underlying suspicions that China was so successful in controlling the virus when neighbors like Singapore have seen new outbreaks.
China has been accused of keeping the World Health Organization in its pocket throughout the pandemic. President Trump, earlier this month, said Washington has no way of knowing if Beijing’s numbers were accurate and said the number of cases seemed to be a “little bit on the light side.”
The president also blasted W.H.O. for missing the call on the pandemic and said the U.S. would cut off funding. The National Review reported that China said it would donate an additional $30 million in light of the U.S. move.
The U.S. contributes a substantial sum, $400 million, to the organization.