YouTube has banned any coronavirus-related content that directly contradicts World Health Organization (WHO) advice.
The Google-owned company has already banned videos that link 5G to the spread of COVID-19, The New York Post reports.
In an interview with CNN published Sunday, Chief executive, Susan Wojcicki said YouTube would be “removing information that is problematic” including “anything that is medically unsubstantiated.”
Wojcicki added “anything that would go against World Health Organization recommendations” is a violation of their policy.
“So people saying, ‘Take vitamin C, take turmeric, we’ll cure you,’ those are the examples of things that would be a violation of our policy,” she told CNN.
Wojcicki didn’t go into detail on how rigorously YouTube is policing videos that might fall into the grey area of debating WHO’s guidance. She added YouTube had seen a 75% increase in demand for news from “authoritative” sources.
Youtube isn’t the only site that is taking tougher steps to control what they perceive as misinformation. Last week, Facebook announced users who had read, watched or shared false Covid-19 information would receive a pop-up alert urging them to visit the WHO’s website.