A couple in Arizona mistook a fish tank-cleaning solution for the drug Hydroxychloroquine, which has been promoted by President Trump and many experts as a likely cure for the coronavirus, which led to the husband’s death after drinking some of it, according to the Washington Post.
After hearing the name “chloroquine” spoken frequently on the news, the wife noticed that the chemical solvent used to keep their koi pond clean included the same ingredient, with the purpose of killing aquatic parasites that may gather in the fish tank over time. The couple decided to pour some of it into their sodas and drank it.
However, the ingredient in question is a different form of chloroquine altogether, chloroquine phosphate, which is poisonous to humans. Within thirty minutes, the couple began to experience vomiting and dizziness, and rushed to the emergency room. The husband died shortly after, while the wife remained in critical care.
The woman admitted in a TV interview that neither of them had any reason to believe they were infected with the virus, and instead drank the solution as a preventive measure. The couple was likely spurred on by recent reports that the Hydroxychloroquine drug has in fact proven highly effective against the virus, most recently saving the life of a 52-year-old man who was on the verge of death before an immediate recovery thanks to the drug.