Acting Department of Homeland Security Secretary Kevin McAleenan denied leaking information about 10 ICE raids planned for cities around the U.S. The raids were ultimately cancelled.
“My primary responsibility,” he added, “is the safety of the men and women who go out there every day to protect the American people. And so it’s just not true.”
The anonymous sources identifying McAleenan said he was very much opposed to the raids during the planning stages. McAleenan also denied anyone from his office leaked the information.
“So tonight you’re saying these rumors are wrong false and you did not do that?” Ingraham asked.
“Absolutely not,” McAleenan responded.
News of the raids came from The Washington Post.
The Washington Post reported Friday that ICE was expected to target 2,000 families in up to 10 cities across the U.S., after Trump had announced earlier this week that ICE will “begin the process of removing millions of illegal aliens who have illicitly found their way into the United States.”
ICE said in a statement Friday that “due to law-enforcement sensitivities and the safety and security of U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement personnel, the agency will not offer specific details related to enforcement operations.”
However, it said that ICE prioritizes arresting and removing those illegal immigrants “who pose a threat to national security, public safety and border security.”
The raid was called off by President Trump who tweeted: “At the request of Democrats, I have delayed the Illegal Immigration Removal Process (Deportation) for two weeks to see if the Democrats and Republicans can get together and work out a solution to the Asylum and Loophole problems at the Southern Border.”
No word if the raids have been rescheduled.
(Photo by Win McNamee/Getty Images)