Assimilation Trumps Diversity Every Time

By | 2017-06-02T18:30:05+00:00 December 15, 2017|
Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Diversity is our strength.” Says who? Well, just about everyone. It’s an article of faith, a bumper sticker mantra of human resource departments and elementary school curricula and something everybody just knows.

But is it true?

Oh, goodness, what kind of question is that?

An uncomfortable one, apparently. U.S. Rep. Steve King, a conservative Republican from Iowa, tweeted the other day, “Diversity is not our strength.” Uh-oh. King then quoted Hungarian Prime Minister Victor Orban, who said, “Mixing cultures will not lead to a higher quality of life but a lower one.”

The bit about “mixing cultures” is debatable, to say the least. King’s follow-up tweet was better: “Assimilation has become a dirty word to the multiculturalist Left. Assimilation, not diversity, is our American strength.”

King isn’t wrong about that, but the claim requires more elaboration than a 280-character tweet allows…

Read the rest at the Sacramento Bee.

About the Author:

Ben Boychuk
Ben Boychuk is managing editor of American Greatness. He is a regular columnist with the Sacramento Bee, a weekly syndicated columnist with Tribune Media, and a veteran of several publications, including Investor's Business Daily and the Claremont Review of Books. He lives in California.

39 Comments

1. MikeyParks December 15, 2017 at 2:42 pm

One of our national mottos is “E pluribus unum,” which means “out of many, one.” Many different cultures combining to form one culture that is America. Diversity is chaos, out of which springs hate, suspicion, envy, bigotry and eventually the death of the country. When you come to America, come ready to become an American. If you can’t stand that concept, DON’T COME.

• Europa December 15, 2017 at 6:21 pm

You did not get “Out of many ,one”. You got out of many, the empty void”.
      The “sameness” of America coast to coast. the unending blinding sameness of clothing, music, highways, shopping malls, chain stores and fast food some so tasteless straw would be better.
      The “blissful ignorance” of a society deliberately not interested in the world and avoids getting to know it. That empty void of not knowing or caring to know.
      The deadness of anything exiting. I think that comes from the bitter cold winters of Northern Europe and whatever Protestantism protests so much. It is exactingly dull and dreary.
      To have those of us filled with life, and inquiring mind to assimilate into this goes against the life force of humanity.

• Malatrope December 16, 2017 at 4:57 pm

Wow. It is evident that you don’t know a damn thing about America. There’s more diversity in any suburban culdesac than in the English countryside. Some of the dialects are so thick they might as well be separate languages, and when you take local slang into account they actually are. If you find America to be an “unending blinding sameness”, it is because you are the blind one.

• TboneAgain December 16, 2017 at 6:10 pm

Yeah, wow. After 45 years, I think you’d have to diagnose congenital ignorance. How can you be in the US for 45 years — no matter where you came from — and come away that stupid about it?

There are fundamental differences, of course. Consider, if nothing else, moving from a place (Ceylon, now Sri Lanka) where the population density is about 800/sq. mi. to the United States, where the average population density is 85/sq. mi. It’s a different world in a great many ways.

When he left Ceylon, it was a Soviet-style welfare state. I think that’s his upbringing. It’s not surprising that he found nothing familiar here.

• Europa December 16, 2017 at 6:18 pm

‘when he left Ceylon, it was a Soviet-style welfare state”

“where the population density is about 800/sq. mi. to the United States, where the average population density is 85/sq. mi.”
            Pulled that out of your fat ass Tbone?
            Ceylon with 10% of Asia’s elephants.
            Asia’s densest forests
            close to 100 rivers.
            biggest city back in 1970 Colombo pop 500 thousand.
            hey dufus take the pop density of America’s biggest cesspool cities and not that of Alaska

• Europa December 16, 2017 at 6:19 pm

Oldest Democracy in Asia and you come up with this.?
            so t bone the white jackass what throwback white culture am I supposed to assimilate again?

• Malatrope December 16, 2017 at 8:54 pm

I finding it interesting that he claims that there’s no culture to assimilate to, yet he complains that “American Culture” is everywhere. Bit of a logical disconnect there. He simply fails to understand our culture at all.

• Europa December 16, 2017 at 6:12 pm

I know more about America in the 45 years I have lived here including the deep south to California than you are willing to give me credit and I bet I know more about Asia than you ever do. I also know first hand on some nations of Europe. The sameness of American culture has been said by many outside of myself.

• Europa December 16, 2017 at 6:23 pm

so far neither you nor Tbone here has made any valid case to assimilate. try again idiots.

• TboneAgain December 16, 2017 at 6:56 pm

How can you not know that you made the best case there could ever be made for assimilating by choosing the United States for your destination? You could have chosen any of the paradisical Euro states you so lavishly praise. You could have gone to any country in sub-Saharan Africa, or Argentina or Venezuela or New Zealand. You could have gone to a lot of other places, but you chose the USA.

YOU are the proof. YOU are a better case than I could ever make. YOU decided that the USA was the best place for YOU, and YOU have stayed here for 45 years. YOU traveled half-way around the world to get here and stay here. YOU take every advantage of the freedoms inherent to being an American to celebrate YOUR culture and criticize my culture and sit at YOUR keyboard and trash me and others like me for pointing out to YOU exactly what YOU are doing and what YOU have done.

I don’t want you to assimilate. You are not what I want for a fellow American. You don’t know what it is to be one, and worse, you don’t want to know. You are a racist and a bigot, a cheap supremacist from a shithole country, a shallow and inconsequential human being, no matter what your heritage.

• Europa December 16, 2017 at 7:04 pm

Go tell that to your local blacks to assimilate. They would run your white ass out of town.
            YOU cannot get blacks Hispanics to assimilate to your loser culture.
            YOU cannot even keep your own race alive. YOU are dying from drugs, disease, abortion to even genital cutting transgender.
            YOU have nothing left to assimilate into.
            YOU Lost loser.

• TboneAgain December 16, 2017 at 7:28 pm

The huge majority of folks dying in the US from drugs, disease, and abortion (and I’ll throw in gun violence — before you do) are black and/or Hispanic. The “genital cutting transgender” stuff is unknown to me, and to most non-Muslim Americans, but clearly well known to you; maybe you can share your experiences? In any case, I think it’s a pretty minor occurrence.

I’m a white native-born American. I don’t need to assimilate. If you’re waiting for me to apologize, you’re waiting for what will never happen. I will not be persecuted or discriminated against for my ethnic or social or racial makeup.

I already fit in. Blacks, Hispanics, and all others who are here by whatever means, who can’t, don’t, or won’t assimilate are welcome to go straight back to where they came from and re-integrate themselves into their native cultures. Assimilation is not that hard, but it is the key — if you won’t, you don’t belong.

You’re a brown foreign-born immigrant from Ceylon. I’m perfectly OK with that.

BUT, you chose to leave your native land to come here — not somewhere else — for a better life. You have spent 45 years reaping the benefits of a country that was founded exactly as I have described elsewhere in these posts.

If one of us needs to figure out assimilation, it’s you, my friend.

• Europa December 16, 2017 at 7:34 pm

Your European culture as second rate to Europe as it is, is foreign
            Had I come here as a Buddhist Sinhalese or a Tamil Hindu Ceylonese instead of an English Christian I would still have the same rights to my culture as you have to your European culture
            On drugs you are out of touch. the opiate/heroin epidemic is killing whites at the same rate as blacks. anyway the black/white culture is the one that replaced the native Americans and the one you are pushing on me.
            Having lived here for 45 years there is a good chance I have lived here longer than you have been alive.
            The transgender, gay, feminist, Sexual revolution, etc. is part of your culture that began in the 60’s
            & the best of America’s culture for what it is now is behind us
            the world of tattoos, drugs, piercings and the grunge look is not my taste. thanks but you can have It I don’t want it.

• Europa December 16, 2017 at 7:06 pm

“my culture”???
            shouldn’t that be NATIVE AMERICAN?? why didn’t you white folk assimilate to the native American culture?:

• TboneAgain December 16, 2017 at 7:31 pm

There is no such thing as “native Americans.” Even the Indians came from somewhere else, probably Mongolia, across the Bering Strait land bridge.

Or are you now saying that the “culture” you’ve been criticizing isn’t mine after all? Perhaps it’s yours also?

• Europa December 16, 2017 at 8:06 pm

Actually yes there is and you should recognize it. the various indigenous tribes and especially the “nations” came under the mega nation created by Europeans (who refused to assimilate anything from the locals except for superficial stuff). Once that mega nation was formed ‘from sea to shining sea” all the indigenous nations came under this nation called “America” making every group from the Navajo to the Cheyenne “Native Americans”
            and they are not “Indians” the only ones who can claim that come from India.
            Those who came here hundreds of thousands of years ago did not bring anything from Asia. From languages to religion was born here once they settled Aztec to Mayan is purely new world.
            It is surprising that I am red pilling you on aspects you should know.

• eggpoacher December 18, 2017 at 10:39 pm

One would be hard put to find a nation not based on the invasion of another people’s territory and their mass slaughter. Yet poisoned American madmen proclaim “No Thanks for Thanksgiving” as though the Indians themselves did not fight endless genocidal wars from Peru to Canada, with torture, ritual murder or slavery for the captives and, at times, cannibalism too.

Leftoid masochists and the Christian meek call for returning Hawaii to the Hawaiians and capitulating before a massive Mexican reconquista of one-third of America. The self-defined “Feminist-Tauist-NeoPagan-Post-Structuralist-Deconstructionist-Socialist” useful idiot Gillian Schutte begins her New Year 2013 Dear White People by “wholeheartedly apologizing for what my ancestors did to the people of South Africa and inviting you to do the same.”

Yet the Magyars don’t seem to feel much guilt over the Illyrians, Pannonians, Sarmatians and Celts whose land and lives they took in the 9th century, to form Hungary. The rightful Etruscan landowners are not bearing angry placards in front of the Vatican. The Japanese are not planning to relinquish Hokkaido to its original owners, the Ainu. The tall, white and fair-haired Chachapoyas of the Andean forest have, alas, no remnants left to sue the Incas for genocide in a Peruvian court of law. The Aztecs, whether in Jalisco or Los Angeles, don’t agonize over having taken what would become Mexico City from its original Culhuacan owners, with lots of grisly details. Yet for 38 years Neil Young has been reminding adoring audiences about “Cortez the Killer”, discreetly omitting Tlacaelel the killer and the killer people whom Cortez killed.

• Marathon-Youth December 20, 2017 at 5:55 pm

It is a specious argument to bring in the rest of the world and how America treated Native Americans. What separates America on that issue should have been the founding documents and the sheer size of this nation where a great deal of the land lies unpopulated.
            It should have made a difference and spared the various naïve groups but it did not
            Just as much as the civil war made invalid a good section of our Declaration of independence when DC enforced the union using the gun.

• Europa December 16, 2017 at 6:25 pm

One more point .Europeans never assimilated to any culture they went to. Instead they wanted those cultures to accept their ways. Why is that?

2. Europa December 15, 2017 at 4:31 pm

Assimilate into what? Whatever culture America has is a poor echo of Europe. I came from Sri Lanka and I certainly will not assimilate into Ghetto black culture or redneck white culture.
    Nor will I succumb to the boring blasé dead beat protestant culture extremely plain architecture to bland food, and shades of pastels.
    But what if I did? I have lived here for 45 years and that is long enough for me to get that spastic spaced out look, chug a beer and watch a foot ball game as the highlight of my day. Will that make me a brown skinned Sri Lankan part of white Suburbia somewhere in North Carolina? how about some inner city neighborhood in Detroit? doubt it
    After the Northern European Protestants settled they were startled out of their suffocatingly bland lives when Italians and Mediterranean Europeans arrived. they added color but had an uphill battle to be accepted.
    Now after the 1965 immigration act millions of Hindus, Buddhist, Muslims, Sikhs, and various sect of Christians from all parts of this globe arrived. We brought with us the exuberance and intensity of our faiths. We built beautiful stunning monuments and added lavish color to an other wise drab America. I like it that way.

• TboneAgain December 16, 2017 at 1:07 pm

I’ll take a quick dash down the low road and tell you that if you don’t care for American culture and prefer European culture, go there. Don’t let the door smack you on the ass on the way out, and don’t come back. But you didn’t go there when you could have, did you? No, you came here.

Instead of bitching about “American culture” why don’t you take a hard look at your own reasons for choosing to come here instead of the Europe you so adore? Why don’t you seriously assess what moved you to leave the cultural paradise of Sri Lanka in the first place? You traveled halfway around the world and settled in a strange land for a reason or reasons. What were they?

Whether you like it or not, and whether you believe it should be so or not, you are living in the only country in the history of the world that is so incredibly successful by practically every measure that thousands of people literally risk their lives every single day to get here. We’re the only country so besieged by foreigners yearning for that success that we have to even discuss building walls to keep them out.

But diversity, in and of itself, did not make that happen. Diversity, in and of itself, had nothing to do with it.

There is a thing called the American idea. It is not culture. It is certainly not diversity. It is not politics. It derives its identity from Judeo-Christian principles. It is based on a respect for individual liberty and universal freedom that is enshrined in the structure of our government as it is nowhere else on Earth. It is the unifying principle that makes the United States the beacon of the free world.

It is what created and maintains the great nation that inspired YOU to leave YOUR native land and travel halfway around the globe, presumably for a better life.

Diversity didn’t build that. UNITY within the American idea built that.

• Europa December 16, 2017 at 2:08 pm

The issue is assimilation and there is nothing to assimilate into. The white Protestant takes everything then homogenizes it, pasteurizes, sterilizes, and strips any culture to its bare bones. Take pizza. The delicious Italian pizza is reduced to the taste and consistency of card board. Only then can the neurotic WASP consume it. If you think people coming here should assimilate to that you are out of your mind
        as I wrote before lets assume I lobotomize myself and become a brown skinned WASP. (whatever that could mean) How does that translate to assimilation? invite me to your home and friend? hmm? date your white girls? what? be part of your racist world that treats dark skinned people like me as second class citizens no matter how hard we try?’
        Ever wonder why Asians stay within our groups? because we cannot assimilate into a society that
        does not want to know about us or even cares to know about us. Often look at us with scorn not due to knowledge but blatant ignorance.
        If you even know one iota of Ceylon I would engage you on the reasons but not only you do not know, but you do not care to ever know. That is ‘cultivated ignorance’ of the kind I have never seen anywhere else
        This abominably vacuous culture is killing. Americans are committing suicide not because of fear or desperation but boredom. If they are not killing themselves they are drugging themselves out of their minds. YOUR boring culture has become toxic. Ever wonder why blacks are so intense. because they are trapped in that vacant white culture and can do nothing about it.
        There is one region still holding onto some life and that is the Confederate South. Guess what they are now under attack. In the south Louisiana is probably the most enthralling and that culture has been demonized and marginalized and made into caricatures for derision and mockery by the likes of Hollywood and the Media for decades.

• TboneAgain December 16, 2017 at 4:30 pm

On the one hand, judging by the words you wrote (in three replies!), I’d say you didn’t understand a single word I said. On the other hand, I might conclude that you don’t actually care what I said, and that it’s all about what you define as “the culture” in America.

Yours strikes me as Shakespearean — “a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.” A lot of noise, but no substance.

I don’t need to assimilate or even know anything about Ceylon’s culture. I’m not there. You’re here. That’s YOUR choice, not mine. Get that through your head.

Asians stay in groups for the exact same reasons English and Irish and Italian and Scots and Jewish and Chinese and Japanese immigrants to the US did and still do. There is nothing special or unique there. It is a preliminary stage to assimilation. But you wouldn’t understand that either.

Based on your words, you are obviously a racist and a bigot. Since I don’t truck with such people, I’ll consider this to be our final communication.

• Europa December 16, 2017 at 6:04 pm

“I’ll take a quick dash down the low road and tell you that if you don’t care for American culture and prefer European culture, go there. Don’t let the door smack you on the ass on the way out, and don’t come back. But you didn’t go there when you could have, did you? No, you came here”
            NOT your call to tell anyone to stay or go. Maybe you should move to some place in this land where the rest of us do not have to deal with you. and do not let the door smack your fat ass on the way out.
            Fat lot you know about people of color, especially Asians.
            China towns were created by Chinese who have lived here for generations. There are no European American community similar to them. They are nothing more than glorified “ghettos” where the Chinese have deliberately segregated themselves from the white and black populations of cities from New York to San Francisco.
            There are Japan Towns to Little Indias and the main reason is the local cultures inability to accept our cultures.
            Maybe you feel threatened because your frigid women prefer each other than a person like you and those who do quickly abort your offspring. That is your sick white culture, and yes from here to Europe Whites are dying off from a range of issues including abortion suicide, drugs and any kind of life than the one you are peddling for me to accept.
            3 comments because if I edit too much the comment is rejected. Thank God it will be now go back to your trailer and smoke your crack. I live in a nationally registered historic building that was part of the Confederate Military Academy and later in the war it was a triage center. Both Union and confederates occupied this building and now I own it. Yeah I own a part of America’s history and am its steward. So the h*ll with you and your bigotry towards people like me.

• Europa December 16, 2017 at 2:14 pm

Yes I come from the oldest Democracy in Asia (not India) and one of the highest standards of living, and in some cases equal to the first world.

“It is based on a respect for individual liberty and universal freedom that is enshrined in the structure of our government as it is nowhere else on Earth”
        Not anymore. those principles began to die after 1865. since then the elite rule this land. We are now an Oligarchy, a Plutocracy heading towards an Autocracy.

• Europa December 16, 2017 at 2:22 pm

The ONLY reason neurotic people like you want people like us to empty our lives and “pretend assimilate” is not because I would be part of your white culture but because you would feel less insecure about your self. It will NOT translate to me being part of your society. It only means you feel secure while you segregate your self in white neighborhoods and if wealthy in gated communities.

• R.L. December 17, 2017 at 9:45 am

I had to put the cry baby on ignore. The long list of posts proclaiming his abuse at the hands of Americans made me want to slap the daylights out of him (or her).

3. Europa December 16, 2017 at 4:04 pm

As a ‘legal’ immigrant I came here from Colombo Ceylon where I lived a western life, went to a private Catholic School and my curriculum was in English. My second language, odd as it maybe was Sinhalese. My friends were Dutch, One was Joechim Casperz and the other guy was Ian Vanlangenburg. Being one of the best private all boys schools often (foreign) diplomats and business men sent their sons to St. Peters College. My class had an American and a Canadian. The Canadian boy was the first to teach us what the word “Horny” meant. I thought it was an animal with horns.

My world in Colombo in the 1960’s was English and Western. I grew up knowing (and dancing)to every well known Western singers and groups from Ricki Nelson to the Beatles. I saw every English and American movie from “Carry on up the Khyber pass” to “2001 A Space Odyssey” and Arthur C. Clark lived only blocks away from me in Colombo where he lived all of his life and died there.

Bertram Uncle had a wall to wall collection of country and western records. My aunts and Uncles would go to the “Coconut Grove” to dance the Swing to the Fox trot. My parents won a bronze in a dance competition of the waltz, fox trot and other western dances of that time (before the 50’s). they grew up under the last years of the British Empire. My father was a Doctor, my Uncle was one of the first non whites to graduate from Oxford and my mum was a nurse.

When we decided to leave Ceylon my father deliberately chose nations which were Christian, English speaking and democracies. We came to America. I never liked open borders or the EU concept of “multiculturalism”, mainly because they chose a shot cut that we never would have. We are the “educated” immigrants who consider our contribution to the new country invaluable.
    I also believe in Assimilation but after 45 years in the US I truly value whatever Ceylonese traditions I brought with me. I believe in the ancient Greek Oracle of “Nothing in Excess” to that of Buddhism “the Middle path” which I see as not too much assimilation that I have no identity of my own nor a life sequestered from the rest in order to preserve old traditions.
    But none of that has anything to do with illegals and open borders which I believe help generate this out of sort article.

4. AtTheTable December 16, 2017 at 6:33 pm

How right you are. And just wait ’til immigration changes the dominant force of American culture. The new ruling class will most definitely prove how right you are. Assimilate or die.

• Europa December 16, 2017 at 6:59 pm

“Assimilate or die”
      Native Americans wiped out because white refused to go” native”. the rest were herded into reservations like animals
      Blacks brought here as chattel to work till they dropped dead. Then thrown into Ghettos. So far whites and blacks hate each other.
      Sicko white culture of abortions, broken marriages, divorce, perverse alternative life styles
      Maybe start with blacks and assimilate them before telling the rest of us to follow suit. You cannot even do that can you?

• Europa December 16, 2017 at 7:00 pm

Go tell your local black bro to assimilate to your white culture and see how long before he punches your lights out.

• Europa December 16, 2017 at 7:12 pm

Seriously now:
      I am Christian
      English is my first language
      I grew up in a Democracy
      I have voted since I came of age
      So spell it out. what is there that I need to assimilate again?

• Europa December 16, 2017 at 7:21 pm

reading the description I gave of myself I sound fine. So what is the problem? the problem is my race. Beside being an English speaking Christian who came from a Democracy I am constantly reminded of not being “American” because I do not look like one.
      Even a disagreement gives you people the ugly choice of telling a citizen like me to “get out”. No way full assimilation can take place.
      In Ceylon we NEVER told Burgers (Dutch and Portuguese) or English, Americans to “get out” because we disagree or even end up in a fight. It never even crossed our minds.

5. Marathon-Youth December 17, 2017 at 10:39 am

“AtTheTable” states this : “Assimilate or die.”

That is clear. Europeans came to the New world and slaughtered the tribes since ‘they’ did not adopt to the newcomers. I thought the Europeans should have adopted to the people living in the new world. Silly me.

“TboneAgain states this: “There is a thing called the American idea. It is not culture. It is certainly not diversity. It is not politics. It derives its identity from Judeo-Christian principles. It is based on a respect for individual liberty and universal freedom that is enshrined in the structure of our government as it is nowhere else on Earth. It is the unifying principle that makes the United States the beacon of the free world”
    If ‘individual liberty’ and ‘universal freedom’ is the American idea. then what is there to assimilate into?. Individual liberty demands no assimilation. It defines ‘individualism’ and that is backed by ‘universal freedom’.

We can rule out friendship and brotherhood with this commenter

“Malatrop” states this:” It is evident that you don’t know a damn thing about America”

“He simply fails to understand our culture at all.”
    So what is American culture? what is it that the rest of us need to assimilate? Obviously these commenters believe I do not know, even after living here for 45 years. Then it is up to these true Americans to dictate to a foreigner like me what exactly I need to assimilate into. Hey guys do no end up contradicting each other in explaining this “American culture”. Failure on your part means my description of America stands.

6. Marathon-Youth December 17, 2017 at 12:29 pm

“AtTheTable” states this : “Assimilate or die.” He almost sounds like a Muslim. But it is clear. the White man came to the New World and instead of assimilating he killed the natives. Great got it.

“Individual liberty’ demands no assimilation. That liberty is protected by “universal freedoms”

“MikeyParks” states this:”E pluribus unum,” which means “out of many, one.” including this “If you can’t stand that concept, DON’T COME.” Okay boss Mikey we can rule out friendship and brotherhood.

“He simply fails to understand our culture at all.”

So what is American culture? what is it that the rest of us need to assimilate? Obviously these commenters believe I do not know, even after living here for 45 years. Then it is up to these ‘true’ Americans to dictate to a foreigner like me what exactly I need to assimilate into. Hey guys do no end up contradicting each other in explaining this “American culture”. Failure on your part means my description of America stands.

7. AtTheTable December 17, 2017 at 3:10 pm

Try putting “Assimilation is our Strenth” on a bumper sticker and see what happens.

• Marathon-Youth December 17, 2017 at 4:26 pm

“Assimilate or die.”

8. Brad Scofield December 19, 2017 at 4:20 am

If you come here and try to force or impose your way of life on all of us, then turn around and get the F**K OUT !
    If you come here and say “I want to be an America, I want to contribute, I want to make America better,” well then, that’s more like it.

9. Marathon-Youth December 19, 2017 at 7:29 am

“Assimilate of Die”. There are various versions of that belief in many comments. One would assume, that as harsh as it is, ‘assimilate or die’ is a choice. Either choose to assimilate or die. As I see it that is not a choice but a perception that non European immigrants should simply disappear. The best way is to die and failing that to be assimilated to the point that any outstanding characteristics which non European groups hold dear would be erased in the process of assimilation and similar to an antibody absorbing a virus. In either case be it a physical death or the death of a culture White Americans prefer that in their definition of assimilation.