2016 Election • America • Americanism • Big Media • Democrats • Donald Trump • Editor Picks • feminists • Hillary Clinton • Identity Politics • Obama • Political Parties • Post • Republicans • The Media

Womansplaining the Women’s Vote

[fusion_builder_container hundred_percent=”no” equal_height_columns=”no” menu_anchor=”” hide_on_mobile=”small-visibility,medium-visibility,large-visibility” class=”” id=”” background_color=”” background_image=”” background_position=”center center” background_repeat=”no-repeat” fade=”no” background_parallax=”none” parallax_speed=”0.3″ video_mp4=”” video_webm=”” video_ogv=”” video_url=”” video_aspect_ratio=”16:9″ video_loop=”yes” video_mute=”yes” overlay_color=”” video_preview_image=”” border_size=”” border_color=”” border_style=”solid” padding_top=”” padding_bottom=”” padding_left=”” padding_right=””][fusion_builder_row][fusion_builder_column type=”1_1″ layout=”1_1″ spacing=”yes” center_content=”no” hover_type=”none” link=”” min_height=”” hide_on_mobile=”small-visibility,medium-visibility,large-visibility” class=”” id=”” background_color=”” background_image=”” background_position=”left top” undefined=”” background_repeat=”no-repeat” border_size=”” border_color=”” border_style=”solid” border_position=”all” padding=”50 0px 50px 0px” margin_top=”0px” margin_bottom=”0px” animation_type=”” animation_direction=”left” animation_speed=”0.3″ animation_offset=”” last=”no”][fusion_text]

[/fusion_text][fusion_text]

I have always liked Michelle Obama. I admire her personal story and respect how she conducted herself as our First Lady. I find her smarter, more authentic, and more good-humored than her husband. Although I strongly disagreed with her school lunch program and wrote about it extensively, I always prefaced my criticism by saying she was well-intentioned. In principle, there is nothing wrong with respected leaders trying to encourage children to eat healthier and get more exercise, even when we may criticize the poor science behind and ineffectiveness of particular policies.

Still, I guess the respect I’ve always had for Mrs. Obama is not reciprocated. Not only does she not like me, it seems Mrs. O. is of the opinion that I don’t like me, either.

During a speaking event in Boston on Wednesday, the former first lady expressed her disapproval of women who, like me, voted for Donald Trump:

As far as I’m concerned, any woman who voted against Hillary Clinton voted against their own voice. To me, that doesn’t say as much about Hillary . . . and everyone is trying to wonder, well what does this mean about Hillary? No, no, no, what does this mean about us as women? That we look at those two candidates, as women, and many of us said, that guy [scoffs], he’s better for me. His voice is more true to me. Well, to me that just says, you don’t like your voice. You like the thing you’re told to like. The voice you’re told to like.

But Obama didn’t stop there. She went on about how us po’ womenz have been programmed to do what the menfolk tell us to do.

We have been socialized to sort of sit there and be quiet. We think 12 times before we open our mouths, we argue with ourselves in our head, and we think, before I can speak up, it has to be perfect. While the guy is like, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. He’s not thinking about perfect, right, or anything, he’s just like, “I’m used to hearing my voice.” That’s what happens to a lot of people.

Gee, I wonder to whom she might be referring. Projection isn’t always as evident to the speaker as it is to the audience. Or perhaps she’s watched too many episodes of The Handmaid’s Tale?

Presumably, even though Mrs. Obama was making big bucks to speak in front of a rapt and attentive audience about the ways in which women have been silenced (irony alert!), it’s not as if she was saying something original about the presidential election. In fact, she was pretty much just repeating what Mrs. Sore Loser offered recently about why the majority of white women voted for Donald Trump. In an NPR interview, Hillary Clinton relayed a discussion she had with Facebook COO Sheryl Sandberg: “And Sheryl ended this really sobering conversation by saying that women will have no empathy for you, because they will be under tremendous pressure—and I’m talking principally about white women—they will be under tremendous pressure from fathers and husbands and boyfriends and male employers not to vote for “the girl.””

Putting aside the arrogance of these two women, focus on this singular fact: They are famous, powerful, and rich almost entirely because of their husbands! As a female Trump voter, I am somehow supposed to be shamed by two women who are only in a position lecture me because their husbands were once president? Please.

Moreover, I wonder if the Michelle Obama of 2008 (who, we must presume, voted in the primary for her husband) needs to have a talk with the Michelle Obama of 2017? Was the 2008 Michelle guilty of scorning her own voice?

Hillary Clinton quit her law career to support her husband’s political career. Michelle Obama quit her law career to support her husband’s political career. Both women traveled around the country—twice—to stump for their husbands. They gave speeches other people wrote to say how great their husbands are. They gave interviews for years talking on and on—not about themselves—but about their husbands. And we all know the extra humiliation Hillary Clinton suffered at the hands of her husband, yet she stayed with him nonetheless.

Now they are lecturing me about being controlled by men? Spare me, sistas.

It isn’t just these two former first ladies who are still lamenting that the majority of white women (and 46 percent of college-educated white women) voted for Donald Trump. In an exchange between CNN’s Brooke Baldwin and Dana Bash about Mrs. Obama’s comments, Bash painfully recounted her experience with female Trump voters just before the election:

I go back to being in the suburbs of Philadelphia right after the “Access Hollywood” tape came out…hearing from woman after woman after woman that they didn’t care about the “Access Hollywood” tape, that’s just Donald Trump, they just don’t like Hillary Clinton. Woman after woman would say, we just want the person that’s going to be best for Americans. Even at that point, just a couple of days after “Access Hollywood” came out and the now-president said what we now know he said, they didn’t care. And I think that is a reality that a lot of Hillary Clinton supporters, Michelle Obama on down, still understandably have real trouble wrapping their minds around.

It is obvious Bash is having that problem, too.

Maybe I can explain to the first ladies and the sad CNN gals why nearly all of the suburban women I know voted for Trump. With multiple policy preferences and varying degrees of enthusiasm, and though few of us voted for him in the primary, there was one thing we all had in common: we did not want Hillary Clinton to be president. It was not because she is a woman; that’s ludicrous. And it was not because our husbands told us not to vote for her. They didn’t have to. It was simply that, over the course of two decades in the public eye, Clinton  repeatedly squandered any trust we may have had in her. It was because she is a political liberal who wanted to expand the cost and power of the federal government and we are Republicans who strongly oppose that. It was because her presidency, essentially, would have been a third term for Obama, a president we largely consider to be a failure. And because, as Clinton continues to prove on her book tour, she has no regard or respect for our values, our priorities, or our points of view. She considers herself to be our superior and if we are of no use to her politically, we are of no use to the country, period.

We saw that. We noted it. And we acted accordingly.

That is the bitter truth Hillary  Clinton refuses to accept and Michelle Obama now tries to shade because her husband is as much to blame for Trump’s victory as Hillary is. Ladies, if you really want to know why we voted for Donald Trump, get a mirror.

[/fusion_text][/fusion_builder_column][fusion_builder_column type=”1_1″ layout=”1_1″ background_position=”left top” background_color=”” border_size=”” border_color=”” border_style=”solid” border_position=”all” spacing=”yes” background_image=”” background_repeat=”no-repeat” padding=”” margin_top=”0px” margin_bottom=”0px” class=”” id=”” animation_type=”” animation_speed=”0.3″ animation_direction=”left” hide_on_mobile=”small-visibility,medium-visibility,large-visibility” center_content=”no” last=”no” min_height=”” hover_type=”none” link=”” element_content=””][/fusion_builder_column][/fusion_builder_row][/fusion_builder_container]

188 replies
  1. Nuther G. Mule
    Nuther G. Mule says:

Fantastic article. Insightful. Honest. Well done, Ms.Kelly.

I’ve met someone who spent “behind the scenes” time with Michelle Obama. Like her husband, that grace and decorum is a facade for a flat-out life long white-hating racist. Who keep them going to Rev. Wright’s church for 20 years, the husband or the wife? The hypocritical self-importance of both these women is enough to make one wretch. They hold up the “race” card or the “woman” card when it suits their needs. How degrading of women to suggest they should proudly vote solely on gender (of course that was Hillary’s platform, that, and “I’m not Trump”) or be ashamed for not doing so. Pathetic.

“Look in the mirror” — spot on. Spot on.

• tedshepherd
      tedshepherd says:

Please, you artificial intelligence programmers out there, develop a software program so competent in English that it can tell the author meant “retch” (to vomit) when she wrote “wretch” (an unfortunate person). Ordinary spell checkers would not notice this usage since both a perfectly good English words. I’m not suggesting that the software be so arrogant as to change the spelling itself. Rather, it should politely and respectfully ask “Did you mean ‘retch’?”

• tedshepherd
          tedshepherd says:

I support that urging though I think it will not accomplish much without parental and peer group support. A friend of mine taught high school English for a while. She gave it up, seeing that her students had no wish to revise their usage to accommodate educated usage. Most of the students were perfectly happy to sound just like their equally ignorant peers. (I remember that my friend said sometimes a student would come to her in class, looking to be excused, and say “I am nauseous.” It was all my friend could do not to say “Yes, you are.” Sorry for a lame explanation but here goes: “nauseous” means “nauseating”, not “nauseated” as the student thought, but that’s the way the student’s peers speak.). . . A clever piece of style checking software might suggest this revision to the author’s comment: “The hypocritical self-importance of both these women is enough to make one wretched. ” . . .

• Westviking
            Westviking says:

funny, my students really want to improve their usage and diction. but then, i teach in a maximum security prison, where education is still a prize.

• USInfidelPorkEater
            USInfidelPorkEater says:

English may very well be the language of America but the language of Americans is often not English.

P.S. Yes, I know that we don’t have an official language. That is another mistake of government.

• MarkinGermany
        MarkinGermany says:

“Ordinary spell checkers would not notice this usage since both a perfectly good English words.”

…since both ‘a’ perfectly…???

Mr. Kettle, I’d like to introduce you to Mr. Pot. if you’re going to judge people on how correct their writing should be, don’t you think you yourself should be correct too, or is that asking too much?

Hint.
        Some of us actually READ what one writes. Maybe you should too before clicking Post.

• tedshepherd
          tedshepherd says:

I never claimed to be perfect. I made the point that existing spell checkers seem not to detect errors such as using “a” where I meant “are”, both being good English words. Thank you for the correction but not for the condescension. Your hint has its basis, evidently, in thinking that I do not re-read my posts before entering them. I do, but a few errors slip past me even so.

• MarkinGermany
            MarkinGermany says:

OK, you’re not perfect, she’s not perfect. I’m far from perfect. Why then did you write the comment here? It would have been more effective if you had written that comment in a direct email to the news company using the faulty program itself. Most bloggers write too many articles to spend time reading every post not directly addressed to them.

After rereading and looking at it from a different slant, I’ll agree you’re not directly attacking her comments or word usage, although the ‘flavor’ of your post at first looked that way. I apologize for being condescending.

• Matt_SE
      Matt_SE says:

You can instantly disprove the sexism charge by putting up someone like Joe Biden against someone like Nikki Haley. I’d vote for her in an instant over any Democrat male.

• derAlleswisser
        derAlleswisser says:

Democrat males, like Biden for example, are more feminine than Conservative women like Haley. They are girly guys.

• derAlleswisser
            derAlleswisser says:

More explicitly, it is white males that have been feminized. Blacks all vote Democrat not because the males are feminized but because blacks love the low expectations and lies and excuses for their violent behavior by the Democrats. And they love the welfare.

2. Doctor Bass Monkey
    Doctor Bass Monkey says:

I find little admirable in a woman who claimed to have never been proud of her country until it backed her husband. Neither her nor Hillary would be given the time of day except they slept with a President.

3. Peter63
    Peter63 says:

Ms Kelly: why on earth did you esteem Michelle Obama in the first place?

Like her husband, like the Clintons, like most of the political class nowadays, she is simply and solely a phony grifter on the make. This has been self-evident all along. Her husband got the top job in the world after being a mere ‘community organiser’ in Chicago (community-organiser in plain English means ‘a troublemaker who helps groups with grievances to feel and act as resentful as possible’). He then carried this skill into the White House and spent 8 years – among other disastrous leadership decisions – dividing and embittering the various racial and social groups in his country against one another. That was the chief domestic enterprise of a president who, more than any other historically, could have helped the nation heal its unhappy black/white-division wounds.

For a ruinous missed opportunity this comes not invisibly far behind Adam and Eve’s acceptance of the Forbidden Fruit.

That he could have such a career-trajectory at all – anywhere – means that the USA is a country which gives persons of colour fantastic opportunities which, if they take them, can lead to fantastic privilege and riches: riches which Mrs Obama and her spouse are currently harvesting as hard and fast as they can.

And this is the same Michelle Obama who pours scorn upon the land she grew up in.

• El Jefe Covfefe
      El Jefe Covfefe says:

and the same Michelle Obama who got free rides to the best schools in the country thanks to affirmative action and the largesse of old white men, and who took advantage of many high paying “public sector” sinecures before going to work for Barack’s campaign.

4. JamesDrouin
    JamesDrouin says:

“I have always liked Michelle Obama. I admire her personal story and respect how she conducted herself as our First Lady.”

Ms. Kelly, you’re not just an idiot, you’re a really ignorant, lazy, and stupid idiot … the Wookie’s “personal story” is one of “entitlements” achieved through nothing more than skin color.

Further, her conduct as First Lady was a record of indiscriminate and unapologetic spending of taxpayer money by someone who knew they wouldn’t be criticized because of that skin color.

Her (and your) contribution to American society is abysmal.

• JamesDrouin
        JamesDrouin says:

You ‘misread’ my post, so try it again.

Also, it’s a well publicized fact that people of your ‘mental acuity’ are frequently able to improve their reading comprehension if they move their lips while reading, so you should try that as well. If you’re unsure of the proper amount of lip movement, ask your boyfriend(s) for ‘input’.

==========

Her (and your) contribution to American society is abysmal.

==========

PS – Try to NOT assume everyone is as ignorant, lazy, and stupid as you’ve demonstrated you are.

• marque2
          marque2 says:

I agree with El Jefe – your condemnation is inappropriate and it does seem like you picked the first sentence and ignored the rest.

Nice double rant though.

• JamesDrouin
            JamesDrouin says:

You ‘misread’ my post as well, so try it again.

==========

Her (and your) contribution to American society is abysmal.

==========

PS – You ALSO should try to NOT assume everyone is as ignorant, lazy, and stupid as you’ve demonstrated you are.

• El Jefe Covfefe
          El Jefe Covfefe says:

I will ask you again because apparently your dinosaur pea brain is incapable of comprehending the subtle and vast complexities of my question: Did you read the article or just the first sentence?
          Because had you read the entire article, you would realize that it is anything but an apologia for that woman. So if your mommy lets you keep the light on after 10 o’clock, take your tiny dinosaur arms, pick up the article, look at it with your beady little eyes lodged in your ridiculous pinhead, and try to do something super-challenging: read.

• JamesDrouin
            JamesDrouin says:

Try it one more time WITH MORE LIP MOVEMENT???

==========

Her (and your) contribution to American society is abysmal.

• El Jefe Covfefe
            El Jefe Covfefe says:

Druid, you pack more stupid into one post than an a roomful of nitwits and that’s a special kind of stupid! By the way, stop trying to impress me with your lip movement … save it for your corn-holing buddies.

• JamesDrouin
            JamesDrouin says:

MORE LIP MOVEMENT, TALK TO YOUR BOYFRIEND(S) ALREADY!!!

==========

Her (and your) contribution to American society is abysmal.

• El Jefe Covfefe
            El Jefe Covfefe says:

Hey JamesDumbin, you sure are proof that you can’t fix stupid. Are you normally this dopey or did you take a double dose of your stupid pills today?

• JamesDrouin
            JamesDrouin says:

MORE LIP MOVEMENT, TALK TO YOUR BOYFRIEND(S) ALREADY!!!

==========

Her (and your) contribution to American society is abysmal.

• JamesDrouin
            JamesDrouin says:

MORE LIP MOVEMENT, TALK TO YOUR BOYFRIEND(S) ALREADY!!

==========

Her (and your) contribution to American society is abysmal.

• El Jefe Covfefe
            El Jefe Covfefe says:

JamesMoron: I see you have absolutely no response and nothing to say, other than to endlessly repeat the same tired reply. Were you born this stupid or do you have to work at it? Now I command you to prove me correct by once again posting the same moronic BS!

• JamesDrouin
            JamesDrouin says:

PAY ATTENTION … TALK TO YOUR BOYFRIEND(S) ALREADY!!

==========

Her (and your) contribution to American society is abysmal.

• JamesDrouin
            JamesDrouin says:

PAY ATTENTION … TALK TO YOUR BOYFRIEND(S) ALREADY!!

==========

Her (and your) contribution to American society is abysmal.

==========

PS – Try to NOT assume everyone is as ignorant, lazy, and stupid as you’ve demonstrated you are!!

5. General Tsu
    General Tsu says:

Here I am; a male, graduate school educated Californian. And I echo Kelly’s comments. Everyone I know who voted for Trump (yes, there were a few here) did so due to this formula:

Trump: Horrible person + acceptable policy positions + great court picks
    versus
    Clinton: Horrible person + terrifying policy positions + end of world court picks

How was that a difficult decision?

• dzacherl
      dzacherl says:

A lying, gasbag and buffoon who was right or a lying gasbag and buffoon who was wrong.
      That’s what happened.

• Marshall Gill
      Marshall Gill says:

Wait, I think I may have considered Mrs. Clinton’s sex. Horrible person, check. Terrifying commie, check. Country destroying court picks? check.

Nope, I did not vote against her because of her sex. Did I vote for the Donald for his? Hmmm, same result.

It is much like how 98% of black people voting for Obama had nothing to do with race but if you were white and voted against him it was because racism.

When you political ideas are over a century old and have failed repeatedly, internal division is all that is left.

• InBigSkyCountry
      InBigSkyCountry says:

I’m getting less and less on the ‘horrible person’ side of Trump. I think his UN speech was brilliant. I think his Charlottesville response turned out to be accurate (and before all the liberal robot heads pop off, why not actually watch the videos?), the NFL controversy is a perfect metaphor and vehicle for change. I become more convinced that America REQUIRED this kind of anti-politic speech to get to the tipping point of changing trajectory.

6. Laura MacIvor Butler
    Laura MacIvor Butler says:

So true! Hillary and Michelle gave up their law careers to promote husbands. I started my business on my own and voted for Trump!

7. Dianne Dee
    Dianne Dee says:

Does the author know that Michelle Obama spent time being coached by a communist? That she and Obama met through same communist?

• derAlleswisser
      derAlleswisser says:

The Democratic Party of today is not the Democratic Party of FDR or JFK, it is CPUSA or Communist Party USA. Cultural Marxism has updated “Workers of the World Unite” to “Victims of the World Unite.”

8. Chekov Call
    Chekov Call says:

A person who voted for a person based on color is shallow. A person who didn’t learn that sole qualifications to run for president as a minority and/or as a female is a fool. We learned that Trump’s predecessor and his former political rival are dishonest, hateful and ideologues. No one tells me for whom I cast my ballot…ever.

9. altster76
    altster76 says:

Awesome write-up Julie, couldn’t agree more. That very painful truth applies all over the Democratic party and explains so much of why the Dems are in such steep decline with middle America.

10. Damaris
    Damaris says:

Perhaps the War Against Women should be renamed the War Against Conservative Women. So, now Liberals are saying we are brainwashed and self hating because we voted for Donald Trump instead of Hillary Clinton?
    Apparently, we couldn’t possibly have the ability to study the issues and candidates and form our own opinions without a man telling us what to think. How sexist can you get?

• Joe Blow
          Joe Blow says:

There’s a car at work with a “Resist” bumper sticker. Every time I see it, I just snicker. Not that I voted for Trump (Johnson), but it makes my heart happy every time that I remember that Hillary lost. God, I hate that woman.

• derAlleswisser
            derAlleswisser says:

Yes, and when you see a “Resist” bumper sticker what goes up in your mind is that right there is a very stupid person who has fallen for all the phony everybody is a racist and there is so much hate blah blah blah stuff that the Democrat networks feed these needy intellectually dead people.

• TribeFan42
      TribeFan42 says:

And the war against Blacks is a war against only Republican Blacks. Gays? Republican Gays. Hispanics? Republican Hispanics. And on, and on and on….and on.

11. biscuitpoisoning
    biscuitpoisoning says:

The Left is simply in denial with respect to Hillary’s 40+ year record of dishonesty and possibly illegal activity (only by the grace of God and her husband’s political clout has she avoided prosecution). White women didn’t need their husbands or fathers to tell them Hillary was a liar and a crook, it was obvious for anyone who cared to look. Trump was certainly a flawed candidate as well, but at the end of the day, it was Clinton’s own arrogance and incompetence that led to her defeat by eschewing travel to battleground states and instead concertrating on her historic victory celebration… but instead of shattering that expensive glass ceiling prop at the Javits Center, Hillary merely broke an expensive 110″ HD TV gifted to her by the Saudi Royal family (those erstwhile supporters of women’s rights!!!!????)

12. taek kenn
    taek kenn says:

Even before either Mrs. Clinton or Mr. Trump announced their run for the WH, if you had asked voters what they thought of these 2 people ( not as candidates but just as people ), you would have found that there was a great slice of the American electorate that hated Mrs. Clinton viscerally. ( I won’t bore you with the reasons for their dislike ). On the other hand most Americans who knew something about Mr. Trump would have probably said he was a successful business man. they may have liked or disliked his TV reality show, but probably 95% did not actively disdain him.
    Ms. Clinton started this adventure to become President in a substantial hole which should have become very evident to Democrats who promoted her, as soon as she lost to a inexperienced newcomer. They disregarded it at their peril. Mr. Biden, a likeable enough fellow, would have fared better.

13. attila
    attila says:

Hillary’s campaign: I have a vagina and therefore I deserve to be President. At that point, I would have voted for Satan.

14. Peonie
    Peonie says:

I’m a college-educated woman who not only voted for President Trump but went door-to-door for him during the primaries in Los Angeles. Believe me, it was not easy, but I found quite a lot of quiet but enthusiastic support for Trump along the way and was the happy recipient of many relieved hugs.

• Kenny A
      Kenny A says:

Did you college education have anything to do with your conclusion that going door-to-door in LA for Trump, in a state guaranteed to give its electoral vote to the Dem, was not a totally futile and idiotic waste of your time?

• Peonie
        Peonie says:

It wasn’t a waste of time. Stumping makes people feel reassured that their party is well organized and that there are other supporters around when they are surrounded by people who are calling them hateful names. Anyway, it was my time to “waste”. What were you doing of value at the time?

• derAlleswisser
          derAlleswisser says:

The trend is downwards, and California will never vote Republican again. Third world immigration and the Democratic Party has destroyed California, it is Detroit on the Pacific.

• Kris Langley
            Kris Langley says:

There are times when I miss those 30 years of life experiences in California (1962-1992), but, from life here outside Wasilla, AK (no… I can’t see Russia from my back deck – despite Tina Fey’s line from SNL… but there are more than a handful of ethnic Russians and Ukrainians here, and my next door neighbors are…), where I have a $100,000/year engineering job, all that I miss is San Diego’s Balboa Park, In N’ Out, and the LACoMOA.

15. odys
    odys says:

“In principle, there is nothing wrong with respected leaders trying to encourage children to eat healthier and get more exercise,…”

Except it was coercion! Trying to keep the captives of our public school mess on bread and water.

I would think that the ability of voters to set aside identity politics and instead focus on what is best for ourselves, our families and our country would be celebrated. But obviously not in some places.

16. odys
    odys says:

The one question about the Access Hollywood tape that I had was “how prevalent is this behavior in the entertainment industry?”

It amazes me that the public was not curious if these were the only two men in the world that thought and acted that way, or if Brad Pitt, George Clooney, et al. were as bad.

17. TexasRules1
    TexasRules1 says:

Hillary is an amazing woman and trailblazed a path to success all young girls should emulate. First, find a smart, politically ambitious alpha-male and marry him, do a few crooked land deals with him. And then as he gropes, bangs and assaults every broad he can get his grubby mitts on, look the other way, even lie on national TV about it if necessary. And then coattail your way to a job as a US Senator in a state you never lived in and then become a horrible POS SOS.

Hillary did it all on her own and every woman who didn’t vote for her is a skanky ho.

• JDL
      JDL says:

Didn’t even need to mention landing in Bosnia under sniper fire, the vast right wing conspiracy, or being “extremely careless” with classified information according to the FBI! (Did I forget to mention being named after Sir Edmund Hillary, flat broke to $250M, or her famed foundation donations for access sales).

• PalaceGuard
      PalaceGuard says:

Bill Clinton views all women as part of his sexual harem. Hillary views all women as part of her political harem. Soulmates, those two.

18. Econometrics
    Econometrics says:

Once again, the out-of-touch Democrats need to learn that demonizing large parts of the electorate (deplorables, anyone?) is not smart politics.

19. HWJoy
    HWJoy says:

Yes! And even though I was still a Democrat at the time, I voted for Donald Trump. One reason I could not vote for Hillary Clinton, though I had done so in the 2008 primary, was because if I had done in my job what she did in hers, I would be in jail. Moreover, Barack Obama’s election reflected identity politics as much as anything. I don’t think many people, regardless of gender, will do that a second time

I thought that the fuss made about the Access Hollywood tape was ludicrous. We read about college girls “hooking up.”, women having children on their own with no paternal support, a President (whom I voted for, and who was elected, twice) having oral sex with an intern in the Oval Office bathroom (and lying about it), and we are supposed to get all Victorian prudish about a ten-year-old tape of dirty locker room talk?

20. Another_Lurker
    Another_Lurker says:

The real boss, aka wife, hated Hildafelon and supported Trump. She was telling me to vote for Trump. I wonder how many husbands were getting an earful to vote for Trump whether they needed the encouragement of not.

• TexasRules1
      TexasRules1 says:

As a male with no balls, no testosterone and no ability to think, I was a typical male Hillary supporter., Wife straightened me out. TRUMP!

21. LionHeart0712
    LionHeart0712 says:

My wife and my 81 year old widow mother were for Trump from day one.
    I didn’t trust him at first, they did. Their enthusiasm got ME to look harder at him. The Access Hollywood tape didn’t faze them, they know locker room talk, they knew nobody ever accused Trump of grabbing them by the P. It actually made them more enthusiastic because it showed he truly is one of us.

They knew there have been a lot of dead bodies around the Clintons. Sticks and stones break bones, locker room talk never hurt anyone. Except the week and insecure.

Thank You to my wife and mom!

MAGA!

22. InBigSkyCountry
    InBigSkyCountry says:

Liberals have been bitten by the Hillary Clinton Virus… all they can say when confronted with being Losers is “everyone is to blame but me”

23. sandslug
    sandslug says:

My only problem with this is liberals don’t understand mirrors. They couldn’t get anything from looking into one.

24. Paul B.
    Paul B. says:

How on earth could you “have always liked” Michelle Obama? And then write a column like this? Are you actually saying that this one statement by her is what turned you? Because that seems incredibly disingenuous.

MO is the one who never had any pride in her country before her husband was nominated for it presidency. She’s the one who received some very suspect political plum positions in Chicago as soon as her husband was elected to state office. The list goes on.

I understand that always liking MO makes a convenient starting point for this piece, but it makes the whole thing formulaic, stylistic. There is very little I can think of that I ever liked about MO, and her latest utterance does not take me by the least surprise. If it does you, you haven’t been listening. And if your goal is to explain the women’s vote, I’m no clearer on it than I was before; perhaps less.

25. mistermcfrugal
    mistermcfrugal says:

Yep, my wife talks like this writer. The idea that I forced her to vote for Trump is insulting to her. Truth be told: neither one of us likes communist Democrats.

26. Kenan Kenny Wang
    Kenan Kenny Wang says:

This is an article that purports that her vote is based on policy not identity. Yet, the whole article is about identity, not policy.

27. Zipowitz
    Zipowitz says:

Fun fact, the distance from the earth to the moon is about 238,000 miles. If miles were excuses for why Hillary lost, it would now exceed that number!

28. NotAGolfer
    NotAGolfer says:

Great article, and I love the title! Womansplaining is a much greater problem than mansplaining these days, and I say that as a woman.

29. El Jefe Covfefe
    El Jefe Covfefe says:

There is so much arrogance and hypocrisy about HRC and MO that it is difficult to know where to begin. Kelly’s article is as great a starting point as any to deconstruct the left wing narrative about why Trump won and HRC lost the election.

30. hawkeyejim
    hawkeyejim says:

So when Democratic women voted for Obama instead of Hillary in the 2008 primary they were voting against their “voice” and “best interests”…

31. theshortbaldopinionator
    theshortbaldopinionator says:

Sadly, too many women will buy the, lets call them what they are, lies from Clinton and Obama. The people who dont are smart. We need more smart people. So…. Im not optimistic.

32. Richard Poore
    Richard Poore says:

Yes, it is something that Clinton doesnt want to understand, but people really did vote AGAINST her and not for Trump.

Her campaign lied and cheated to steal the primary because even with the “fix” of the superdelegate block locked in for Clinton it appeared that she was in danger as the primary season progressed. It appears that the sheer corruption at the DNC led an insider to cry enough, to download those files and send them to Wikileaks so we could all see the level of depravity that the DNC had reached.

If Trump at least did one good thing, it was dropping a house on the wicked witch of the East of American politics.

33. Puddle_Glum
    Puddle_Glum says:

It’s not like Clinton or Obama ever gained trust. They were both and always one-hit wonders. We didn’t vote against our own voices we voted against their voices, their lack of excellence and in the end, their harmful ideologies.

34. Dan Brown
    Dan Brown says:

Good take on it – I’m not inclined to argue with a woman about the woman’s take… :-)

But as to the rest… Missy O is not impressive. If you think she is look harder. She and Felonia Von Pantsuit are arrogant educated idiot femifascists and neither one of them would amounted to anything except for their husbands…

I’d follow an old hound dog first… At least the dog is good at what it does…

35. Robbins Mitchell
    Robbins Mitchell says:

So according to the affirmative action colored girl who carries her brains around in her panties,if you have a vagina,you should only vote for political candidates who have a vagina as well…..got it

• Jon
      Jon says:

Well, ideally it’d be a black lesbian transsexual descended from Native Americans, who’s also a tree hugger, vegetarian, militant atheist, and communist party member.

But having a vagina, is a start.

36. Westviking
    Westviking says:

as we all know, nothing matters before the “but” (in this case the “still” of the second paragraph).
    i agree with mrs. obama. any woman who voted for trump has a bad case of stockholm syndrome.

37. TexasRules1
    TexasRules1 says:

“As far as I’m concerned, any man that voted for Hillary voted against his own voice, not to mention he needs to grow a pair, get some testosterone injections and re-learn how to pee standing up “

38. El Jefe Covfefe
    El Jefe Covfefe says:

Hillary, you still don’t get it. Trump kicked your sorry jackass all over the electoral college, so suck it up buttercup!

39. rwisrael
    rwisrael says:

You have to really wonder if Michele actually knows any working class white wives. They can be the most incredibly supportive people , but telling them how to think is a good way to get your head bitten off.

40. marque2
    marque2 says:

During the campaign I wore a trump had because my kids got it for me. I live in the last bastion of slight conservatism in California. I was totally surprised how often I would go somewhere and have a woman look at me – then look to each side and when they saw noone was near enough to hear whisper “I like your hat.” That is all they would say. “I like your hat” – Aland I would say “thank you”

This isn’t me, as a guy, suppressing women – it is people afraid saying what they believe for fear of being ridiculed, punched or worse. If Democrats weren’t so big on suppressing speech – they might have heard this and heard why and do something to be more electable.

41. Jon
    Jon says:

Tens of millions of husbands went into the voting booth with their wives and ensured they voted for Trump? Who knew?

Shrillary! and Moochella, sure have a low opinion of other women. Or is it just women with minds of their own they despise?

42. Jon
    Jon says:

When the women in my household disagree with me, they’re certainly not shy about speaking out, and usually provide a united front in opposition. Fortunately…I’ve learned to (sometimes, occasionally) keep my teeth clenched together. Sometimes, I think the first words my daughters learned, was “Zip it daddy”, closely followed by “Daddy, you’re a dork”. Covert polling of other men, indicates this isn’t highly unusual.

I’d like to meet some of these mythical men, ruling their households with an iron fist and dictating what their women say or think (or vote). Is there a school or something we can go to?

• MarkinGermany
      MarkinGermany says:

I would have responded sooner, but I was up to elbows in dish water and I still had the ironing and vacuuming to do.

• MarkinGermany
            MarkinGermany says:

Right! You don’t see that hungry look in her eyes, sort of like a tigress
            watching a fawn crossing her path.

Help Me!

• Jon
            Jon says:

Well, it’s time to take action. According to what Hillary! and Moochella are saying, all these women really just want is a strong man to run their lives.

Be assertive! Just haul off and clock her, then put in the boot while she’s down. Tell her things are going to be different from now on. Then tell her to take her shoes off and get her butt into the kitchen where she belongs!

She’ll love you for it! (Or something) Be strong!

• Jon
            Jon says:

Uh oh. You’re left with only one possible solution. RUN!

Or homicide, and pack the jury with battered husbands.

• MarkinGermany
            MarkinGermany says:

Running it is. She owns a gun and knows how to shoot.

I guess we conservatives truly do have our womenz folk under our heel after all. ;)

This was fun!

LAJames says:

Dad: I’ve been trying to respond to your last post and this site won’t let my post remain. What’s wrong?

43. dannyboy116
    dannyboy116 says:

Hillary Clinton is a true national treasure! Hopefully she will be available to run for President again in 2020. Next time, the Democratic Party shouldn’t waste time on the silly primaries – but rather award her the nomination from the start, so that she can focus her energies on targeting those terrible Republicans. She should also run with a more experienced politician, instead of that little lightweight, Timmy Kaine, who provided her with no benefits. The marvelous, magnificent, Maxine Waters would be a more worthy running mate for Hillary in 2020. Clinton – Waters in 2020!!!

• MarkinGermany
      MarkinGermany says:

I read a few months ago of the PERFECT dem/lib/socialist ticket. Remember, I’m plagiarizing from a poster who wrote this first. This is not MY invention.

Al Franken for President.
      Jill Stein as VP

You get the Franken/Stein ticket. Accurate and foretelling.

44. T Walt
    T Walt says:

Bravo! Plus women care about feeling safe. Hillary’s domestic and foreign policies were status quo and proven ineffective like border security or potentially dangerous like the Iran deal and war with Libya by Obama and her as sec of state.

45. LAJames
    LAJames says:

The most important difference between Clinton and Trump was and is that she’s emotionally stable. The second most important difference between then was described by Ronald Reagan’s speech writer. Peggy Noonan on July 28 2017.

• Jon
      Jon says:

Hillary!, the woman currently on a nation tour to explain “What Happened”, while blaming everything and everyone for her loss but herself, is emotionally stable?

The woman noted by WH staff (and virtually everyone else) for screaming temper tantrums? That Clinton?

LAJames says:

She’s emotionally stable. You’re trying to avoid discussing Trump because you know Peggy Noonan’s right. “He’s not strong and self-controlled, not cool and tough, not low-key and determined; he’s whiny, weepy and self-pitying,… He’s a drama queen…Trump must remind men of their first wife,”

LAJames says:

During the campaign I told people that Trump had a better chance of winning than everyone thought. Trump’s problem is that he’s a punk who likes to dish it out but whines when someone hits back. Then again, the three most overrated things in life are young pussy, micro-brewed beer and just how fuckin’ tough Republicans really are.

• Jon
            Jon says:

Quit whining. Roughly 90% of our combat arms troops are Republicans, probably 99% of our SpecOps. Huge percentage of 1st Responders country-wide. If Democrats are so tough, they certainly don’t line up to do the tough jobs. Unless you count being internet tough guys.

LAJames says:

I think you’re lying about being in the military but this is too much fun so I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt. I never served in the military. The problem with the American military is that it’s a government program. According to Investor’s Daily magazine the military has lost $8.5 trillion in cash and equipment. That’s roughly 17 years worth of the current defense budget. It’s also a waste of money and a threat to national security. If you served in the military, you’re part of that problem.

Real toughness is mental not physical. That said, I have physical courage but that’s unimportant here. Are you willing to take a cut in any and every government benefit you receive? I think every line item in the federal budget should be uniformly cut by 3, 4 or 5% across the board. That includes and starts with Social Security, Medicare, veterans’ benefits and defense spending. I’ve planned my financial future based on the assumption that I will receive much less Social Security and Medicare coverage that each plan says I will receive. The savings should go to pay off the national debt. We have to cut our spending and everyone has to take a cut. Again are you willing to take a cut in any and every government benefit you receive?

LAJames says:

Ok Dad. Now answer my question about taking a cut in your government benefits along with everyone. else.

• Jon
            Jon says:

Son, I’m a triple retiree. My “government benefits” are a fleabite. Best benefit I got, was the educational benefit and the job skills I learned, and no one can take those away.

That said, the government benefits I do receive are all combat related. You want to take benefits and medical treatment away from combat vets?

LAJames says:

If a cut of 3, 4 or 5% is “taking away all your combat related benefits and, those of other veterans the answer is “yes.” America is $20 trillion in debt and we all have to pay. There are no scared cows,including veterans. Give my regards to mother. P. S. .You’re defending liberal government programs..

• Jon
            Jon says:

Bub, sorry to burst your bubble, but military retirement and benefits aren’t “liberal government programs” they’re the government meeting its contractual obligations. Note…they just started a new retirement program in order to save money. It starts with new enlistees. New enlistees…new deal.

If you think the government is going to cut liberal government entitlements BTW, you’re smoking crack. Neither party is going to do that. Buying votes with “free stuff” is a bipartisan sacred cow.

LAJames says:

What the government giveth, the government can taketh away. Now answer the question. Are you willing to take a cut of 3, 4 or 5% in your government benefits to help pay the national debt?

LAJames says:

Dear Dad: Anything the government giveth, the government can taketh away. Fantasizing that it won’t happen is unwise. If you read the fine print on your contract, you may be in for a very rude awakening. Now, answer the question, are you willing to take a cut of 3, 4 or 5% of all your benefits and those of other veterans?

LAJames says:

Again, read the fine print in your contract. Also, remember that a few years ago, Congress was going to reduce the increase in veterans pensions. It wasn’t a cut but simple a reduction in the increase and veterans howled like banshees. Congress backed down but someday (and it will be sooner rather that later) there will be an actual cut and Congress won’t back down.

LAJames says:

Government giveth and government will taketh away. Anyone relying on a government promise should remember that and anyone who ignores it will regret doing so. Read you contract carefully because there’s probably an escape clause in it. That said, answer my question. Are you willing to take a cut of 3, 4 or 5% in your benefits as long as everyone else takes the same cut in their government benefits.

• Bob Nix
      Bob Nix says:

Remember when the emotionally stable, strong and self-controlled, cool and tough, low-key and determined Hillary came out and gave her concession speech with such poise and grace that people actually rethought having voted against her? No? Because for the first time in presidential history the loser didn’t actually come out and make a concession speech? Because she wasn’t emotionally stable, strong, self-controlled, cool, tough, low-key, or determined? Because she couldn’t even keep it together when she lost an election? Imagine that pathetic creature having to deal with a REAL crisis, like 9/11 or the Cuban Missile Crisis or Pearl Harbor. You think she’d even make it to the Oval Office for an address to the nation? Or would she be either curled up somewhere, helpless, or throwing a wild, raving temper-tantrum and breaking more White House lamps and dishes? Talk about dodged a bullet. This was like dodging an ICBM.

LAJames says:

Bob Nix: You’re fantasizing about Clinton’s emotional state because you know I’m right about Trump’s. During the bin Laden raid (when Obama did what Bush Jr. couldn’t) the entire national security team was in the situation room in the White House. As the Seal Team closed in on the compound, Obama asked everyone for his opinion. All except two advised against the raid because they weren’t sure enough bin Laden was there. One of the “no” votes was Gen. Bob Gates, the Secretary of Defense. The only two “yes” votes were from Hillary Clinton and the Commander-in Chief. bin Laden was killed. It took real toughness and strength for Clinton to make that call. Trump can’t even repeal and replace Obamacare-and don’t blame the Republican senate. Trump could have made it happen but didn’t have the courage.

46. LAJames
    LAJames says:

The most important difference between Clinton and Trump was and is that she’s emotionally stable. The second most important difference between them was described by Ronald Reagan’s speech writer. Peggy Noonan on July 28 2017

“He’s not strong and self-controlled, not cool and tough, not low-key and determined; he’s whiny, weepy and self-pitying,…He’s a drama queen…Trump must remind men of their first wife,”

47. USInfidelPorkEater
    USInfidelPorkEater says:

Mitz “O” is a black racist, for crying out loud. I must be the only soul in America that knows & is willing to speak out. I thought racists were terrible people …. Oh! Only if they are white. Excuse me.

48. gnadfly@gmail.com
    gnadfly@gmail.com says:

The real story is Michelle and Hillary palpably hate white straight men. Strange they use the constant progressive trick of interpreting what opponents are saying instead of quoting them. But this is taking it to a new level, telling people what they think in their head.

49. MaskOfZero
    MaskOfZero says:

I was never impressed by Michelle Obama, but Julie Kelly doesn’t impress me either.

Some people voted for Donald Trump, and some people voted against Hillary Clinton.

Some people who voted for Donald Trump were women–and I am sure they had a variety of reasons for their vote–but to their credit, they did not consider gender to be the primary factor in their decision.

50. majorlobon
    majorlobon says:

51. libertyanyday
    libertyanyday says:

who is more evil the men who denied women the vote or the women who vote who tell other women they are stoopid horesw. Women are 10x nastier as CEO’s than men. Landowners and civics 101 course passers should be able to vote.
    Hillary and moochelle are the equivalents of stalin and hitler.