America • Americanism • Center for American Greatness • Defense of the West • Donald Trump • EU • Europe • Foreign Policy • The Culture • The Left • Trade

Donald Trump as Pericles

[fusion_builder_container hundred_percent=”no” equal_height_columns=”no” menu_anchor=”” hide_on_mobile=”small-visibility,medium-visibility,large-visibility” class=”” id=”” background_color=”” background_image=”” background_position=”center center” background_repeat=”no-repeat” fade=”no” background_parallax=”none” parallax_speed=”0.3″ video_mp4=”” video_webm=”” video_ogv=”” video_url=”” video_aspect_ratio=”16:9″ video_loop=”yes” video_mute=”yes” overlay_color=”” video_preview_image=”” border_size=”” border_color=”” border_style=”solid” padding_top=”” padding_bottom=”” padding_left=”” padding_right=””][fusion_builder_row][fusion_builder_column type=”1_1″ layout=”1_1″ spacing=”yes” center_content=”no” hover_type=”none” link=”” min_height=”” hide_on_mobile=”small-visibility,medium-visibility,large-visibility” class=”” id=”” background_color=”” background_image=”” background_position=”left top” undefined=”” background_repeat=”no-repeat” border_size=”” border_color=”” border_style=”solid” border_position=”all” padding=”50 0px 50px 0px” margin_top=”0px” margin_bottom=”0px” animation_type=”” animation_direction=”left” animation_speed=”0.3″ animation_offset=”” last=”no”][fusion_text]

[/fusion_text][fusion_text]

I have no idea who wrote the rousing speech that Donald Trump delivered Thursday in Warsaw. But I think I know who might have provided a model: Pericles of Athens.

As I noted yesterday, the speech contained the usual quota of diplomacy-speak, freshened up with numerous specific advisories: the US stands behind Article 5, NATO’s “collective defense” provision; Russia should stop mucking in about in Ukraine, Syria, and Iran; “the steady creep of government bureaucracy” is a big problem for Western democracies that value freedom and individual initiative.

As I also noted, however, the real meat of the speech came about three quarters of the way through when Trump mounted a wide-ranging and spirited defense of core Western values and achievements. It’s not just that we are rich and powerful. It is also that we cherish such enabling civilizational values as individual liberty, the rule of law, the political equality of women, religious freedom, and a generous and innovative spirit of curiosity and exploration. “If we don’t forget who are,” Trump said. “we just can’t be beaten.” Moreover,

Americans will never forget. The nations of Europe will never forget. We are the fastest and the greatest community. There is nothing like our community of nations. The world has never known anything like our community of nations.

We write symphonies. We pursue innovation. We celebrate our ancient heroes, embrace our timeless traditions and customs, and always seek to explore and discover brand-new frontiers.

We reward brilliance. We strive for excellence, and cherish inspiring works of art that honor God. We treasure the rule of law and protect the right to free speech and free expression.

We empower women as pillars of our society and of our success. We put faith and family, not government and bureaucracy, at the center of our lives. And we debate everything. We challenge everything. We seek to know everything so that we can better know ourselves. And above all, we value the dignity of every human life, protect the rights of every person, and share the hope of every soul to live in freedom. That is who we are. Those are the priceless ties that bind us together as nations, as allies, and as a civilization.

What we have, what we inherited from our—and you know this better than anybody, and you see it today with this incredible group of people—what we’ve inherited from our ancestors has never existed to this extent before. And if we fail to preserve it, it will never, ever exist again. So we cannot fail.

These were the sentiments that wretched Lefties like Peter Beinart, writing in The Atlantic, castigated as evidence of “The Racial and Religious Paranoia.” “Donald Trump referred 10 times to ‘the West,’” quoth Beinart, “and five times to ‘our civilization,’” as if that was evidence of some especially twisted perspective.

It was the same throughout the gigantic and odiferous midden of “progressive” commentary. A writer for Slate screamed about “the white nationalist roots” of the speech, Eugene Robinson emitted his usual incontinent drivel in The Washington Post,  sniffing about Trump’s historical ignorance and cultural chauvinism, and a former Obama advisor picked up the baton to warn about Trump’s “Dark Views Of Clash Of Civilizations.”

What would these pathetic tools have to say about Pericles’s funeral oration, delivered near the beginning of the Peloponnesian War, when the great statesman addressed the people of Athens to commemorate their war dead and remind them of what made their city such a distinctive and admirable place? “Let me say,” the historian Thucydides has Pericles say,  “that our system of government does not copy the institutions of our neighbors. It is more the case of our being a model to others than of our imitating anyone else. Our constitution is called a democracy because power is in the hands not of a minority but of the whole people.”

Our love of what is beautiful does not lead to extravagance; our love of the things of the mind does not make us soft. . . . Taking everything together then, I declare that our city is an education to Greece, and I declare that in my opinion each single one of our citizens, in all the manifold aspects of life, is able to show himself the rightful lord and owner of his own person, and do this, moreover, with exceptional grace and exceptional versatility. And to show that this is no empty boasting for the present occasion, but real tangible fact, you have only to consider the power which our city possesses and which has been won by those very qualities which I have mentioned. Athens, alone of the states we know, comes to her testing time in a greatness that surpasses what was imagined of her. In her case, and in her case alone, no invading enemy is ashamed at being defeated, and no subject can complain of being governed by people unfit for their responsibilities. Mighty indeed are the marks and monuments of our empire which we have left. Future ages will wonder at us, as the present age wonders at us now. . . . For our adventurous spirit has forced an entry into every sea and into every land; and everywhere we have left behind us everlasting memorials of good done to our friends or suffering inflicted on our enemies.

It’s a good thing that Pericles did not have to suffer under the scrutiny the chest-less, politically correct ditto-heads that rule our media and educational system today.  Or perhaps I should say, it is a good thing for them that they did not have to suffer under the frank and manly self-confidence of Pericles.

Listening to Donald Trump yesterday in Warsaw, however, I wonder whether the tide is going out on that brackish, self-infatuated yet self-hating fraternity. I suspect it is. Good riddance.

Content created by The Center for American Greatness, Inc is available without charge to any eligible news publisher that can provide a significant audience. For licensing opportunities of our original content, please contact [email protected]

[/fusion_text][/fusion_builder_column][fusion_builder_column type=”1_1″ layout=”1_1″ background_position=”left top” background_color=”” border_size=”” border_color=”” border_style=”solid” border_position=”all” spacing=”yes” background_image=”” background_repeat=”no-repeat” padding=”” margin_top=”0px” margin_bottom=”0px” class=”” id=”” animation_type=”” animation_speed=”0.3″ animation_direction=”left” hide_on_mobile=”small-visibility,medium-visibility,large-visibility” center_content=”no” last=”no” min_height=”” hover_type=”none” link=”” element_content=””][/fusion_builder_column][/fusion_builder_row][/fusion_builder_container]

106 replies
  1. Avatar
    Sarahdabraham says:

Managing director of Google says we are paying $97 per hour! Work for few hours and have longer with friends & family^ju351d:
    On tuesday I got a great new Land Rover Range Rover from having earned $8752 this last four weeks.. Its the most-financialy rewarding I’ve had.. It sounds unbelievable but you wont forgive yourself if you don’t check it,Learn more
    ~va351d:
    ➽➽
    ➽➽;➽➽ http://GoogleFinancialJobsCash351OfficeHealth/GetPay$97/Hour ★★✫★★✫★★✫★★✫★★✫★★✫★★✫★★✫★★✫★★✫★★✫★★✫★★✫★★✫★★✫★★✫★★✫★★:::::~va351o….

2. Avatar
    Brian B says:

–the chest-less, politically correct ditto-heads that rule our media and educational system today.–

Beware of geeks baring grifts.

3. Avatar
    Anarchus says:

As President Reagan said in a 1988 speech:

“America represents something universal in the human spirit. I received a letter not long ago from a man who said, ‘You can go to Japan to live, but you cannot become Japanese. You can go to France to live and not become a Frenchman. You can go to live in Germany or Turkey, and you won’t become a German or a Turk. [But] Anybody from any corner of the world can come to America to live and become an American.”

Personally, I think the first sentence is a slight overreach, because while “Anybody from any corner of the world can come to America to live and become an American”, coming to America to live and become an American requires fully embracing the Constitution and the Bill of Rights and the Western ideals of individual liberty. History and current evidence suggest that is not completely “universal in the human spirit” – it may be the highest and best fulfillment of the human spirit, but it’s not something that all humans aspire to. Sadly.

Old Gunny says:

Anybody from any corner of the earth can immediately become a Texan. Ten minutes after people cross the Texas border, they have a pair of boots and a hat and you can hear them saying “y’all” with any number of accents.

4. Avatar
    Danimal5005 says:

Good piece, Roger(as usual). I thought it was a great speech and at a wonderful time. I took Rush’s advice a month ago and turned all tv and cable news off and focused on proven experts in the blogosphere. Very therapeutic. The way Trump is leveraging our newfound energy independence is beautiful.

David Baerwald says:

Let me guess. Your “proven experts” include Rush Limbaugh, Alex Jones and Breitbart.

Danimal5005 says:

I have listened to Rush for over 25 years and he has rarely been refuted. Jones is a chump. Breitbart has rarely been refuted as well.

I am sure your experts reside at CNN and WaPo. Try Rush and Breitbart and your world will open, friend.

Danimal5005 says:

“Harvard, Oxford, Stanford, UCLA, etc”

Those are the places that create the buffoons who have run this country into the ground through their indoctrination processes. They tried the same thing here at UofMN when I was getting my engineering degree, but 2+2 actually equals 4. It worked on folks like you and I am not surprised.

As I watched my east German counterpart holding a rifle guarding a minefield on HIS side of the fence it taught me many things. Too bad the institutions you just listed are still trying to do the same. I feel bad for you.

5. Avatar
    Joshua Grabow says:

Trump is the machine that induces the left to say what they really think. It is all there, the arrogance, the contempt, the vast hatred of males, whites, and the whole edifice of western civilization. Whatever his faults, he brings this conflict into sharp relief. This is our choice. Abdicate our responsibility, deracinate our culture, collude in the mass murder of our own people, or do we defend ourselves?

Mike D'Virgilio says:

Well said. Yet another reason I have lost all respect for the NeverTrumpers. They are blind as bats to the fact the Trump is bringing America to this stark choice. MAGA!!!

flyaway says:

I agree with so much of what you, and even Trump say. There’s a battle for Western Civilization, and I’m a Western Civ chauvinist. I am also a liberal who sees that how many of my fellow liberals have made the terrible of practically criminalizing being white. However I think/hope the West can find a champion besides Donald Trump, a man without integrity, honor, or a shred of nobility. So much of the right has made pimps of themselves to him in the cause of power. Shame on them.

Joshua Grabow says:

Hey, I wish we could have Captain America leading the charge to preserve our civilization too. I wish it were a bipartisan project. I wish Democrats didn’t hate their own country and people and I wish Republicans weren’t spineless and corrupt. But we don’t live in that world, and Trump is the only one saying these things. The. Only. One. I’ll take the white Don King, if I have no other choice.

David Baerwald says:

There is a battle, alright – between Civilization and you chin-stroking Christian jihadists. Wonder who will win?

ek ErilaR says:

If by “Civilization” you mean the Western Enlightenment, then you should know that round-headed 17th C. Christian jihadi made it possible between 1617-50.

ek ErilaR says:

Inquisitions and burning heretics were, of course, manifestations of the Catholic counter-Reformation. Straight up witch burnings ubiquitous in the 16th and 17th Centuries and Holy Mother Church burnt many more witches than did the Reformed churches.

Dan Warren says:

I am glad to hear your sentiments are changing away from the Leftist Cult….but, I do think you are very poorly informed about who president Trump is.

There was a veritable ARMY of investigators searching endlessly for things they could scuttle Donald Trump’s candidacy with….yet, what did they find?

Where did those 11 women go to who claimed they had some sort of misogynist treatment by Trump, some as far back as 30 years ago?…hmmm?…Never heard from again…not one of them.

President Trump in his incredible business career probably employed tens of thousands of people, yet the ONLY expose I found was from a black woman employee of his who did a video of her own volition praising the generosity, the kindness, of Donald Trump AND his whole family. She almost cried during part of her narration.

There are many acts of incredible generosity by D

Unless you have conducted some search of your own, you will never find ANY of this in the Media, as president Trump, both in his candidacy and now his presidency, is being subjected to a gargantuan SMEAR campaign….virtually NOTHING gets thru the Media filter which is favorable to Trump.

So, though I applaud you for beginning to see thru the inanity of the Cult of Leftism…the only religion Leftists practice, you need to do some work on your view of president Trump.

flyaway says:

Thank you for your good wishes…at least that’s what I think they are…for my becoming enlightened about the ‘leftist cult’, by which I guess you mean the Demcratic Party of FDR, JFK, LBJ, Jimmy Carter, Bill Clinton (who was, granted, a terrible and reckless fool, but who left us with a zero deficit for the first time in my rather long life).
          My feelings about Donald Trump don’t come from the media, about which I’d probably agree with you. I think they behaved discracefully in the last election, and not just toward Trump. They are to my mind lazy, self seving, and irresponsible (with a few exceptions).
          My feelings about the horse’s ass who’s now our president come from his observed behavior, and what I actually heard him say during the primaries, and what he said and did during the campaign and after.
          He’s a liar, and worse, a fool. I don’t care how much money he made building high-end hotels, golf courses and casinos
          But I’m pretty sure this is a subject on which we’ll never agree.
          Let me wish you well anyway, and thank you for responding to my post.

Dan Warren says:

Thanks for your response, too.

However, I still don’t understand how you can think that Trump is as you describe.

True, I

Ms Liz says:

As far as those 11 women go, Trump and his lawyers threatened the first few into submission by familiar means: 1. smear campaign, 2. unlimited funds to delay a day in court and 3. when and if a trial happens, to drag it out for years. Speaking as a woman who has been through this treatment, I don’t know if I’d have the stomach to go on either.

ek ErilaR says:

“For my thoughts are not your thoughts
        neither are your ways my ways,
        declares the Lord.
        As the heavens are higher than the earth,
        so are my ways higher than your ways
        and my thoughts than your thoughts.”
        Isaiah 55:8-9.

Equivalently, from the Rolling Stones: You don’t always get what you want but you get what you need. Trump played this a lot during the primaries.

John Willson says:

Right to the point. The god of the nevertrumpers is process, their religion is MacChurch, they are willing to let liberals name a progressive agenda, secure that they can gain control of that which gives them privilege (and thus they can “conserve” it); their manners are those of prigs, and their tones a slurble meaning to sound like gravitas. Pericles may not have written his speech either, but like him President Trump recognizes a good one.

6. Avatar
    MarkJ says:

Seems to me that Peter Beinart is the epitome of the self-hating Jew. Indeed, despite Beinart’s allegedly prestigious Cambridge, Yale, and Oxford educations, he’s learned absolutely nothing about either history or Western Civ.

7. Avatar
    Dusty Thompson says:

So basically if America elects any non Black President it is because WE are racists?

Democrats lost America’s first Civil War because they enslaved Black people. Democrats are going to lose America’s second Civil War because they attempted to enslave everyone else…

Not every Democrat was a KuKluxKlan member, but every KuKluxKlan member was a democrat.

When peaceful recourse is denied, violent redress becomes justified, it becomes manifold.

David Baerwald says:

Always with you nimrods, historical misrepresentation, then the idle threats. Bring it on.

8. Avatar
    AnneG says:

Peter Beinart commented on secular values such as equality. Apparently he is totally unaware that the founding of the US, with that equality, was based on the religion and faith of the founders. Equality without God is not and was never a value of secular society, and, now, less than ever.

David Baerwald says:

As usual, you misunderstand the Founding Fathers. For the most part they were Deists, not Christians. Thomas Jefferson in particular was deeply opposed to the Church. So, no.

dstatton says:

Unfortunately, the American Enlightenment lasted only about 50 years, from 1750 to 1800, between the First and Second Great Awakenings. Or fortunately, as they squeezed a secular document to govern our nation during that time.

9. Avatar
    David H Dennis says:

Since ditto-head is a term for conservative Rush Limbaugh fans, not liberals, I am a bit confused by this essay … has something changed in the use of the phrase I’m not aware of?

10. Avatar
    itsy_bitsy says:

And the most important thing for every American to know and remember is that those most opposed to that wonderful list of things we stand for, are those who call themselves democrats (but who in reality are now Marxist in belief and manner), as well as all of academia, and a very large portion of the American press and media.

itsy_bitsy says:

I have no wish to kill anyone, that sentiment seems to be very prevalent on your side however. I wish to defeat you through principle and by showing that your side does nothing to lift the world or those in it. It simply serves to depress and ruin lives around the globe.

David Baerwald says:

Your boys are the ones parading around with ARs on their pot bellies. But whatever. It doesn’t matter anyway, they’re annoying, but that’s about the extent of it. Think what you like, it’s a semi-free country after all. But you’re gonna feel pretty silly when it all shakes out.

itsy_bitsy says:

Ah, but it was your boy who shot Republican Congressmen! It was your boy, who hid guns and ammunition in a secret locker. I haven’t heard about about any of MY boys, you know the ones who “parade around with ARs on their pot bellies” killing or trying to kill any of you! Those weren’t MY boys rampaging through Hamburg, Germany during the G2 meetings, or attacking people and setting fires in Berkeley, CA a few months ago, etc………

itsy_bitsy says:

You are not only brain dead, but a total jacka$$ who seems unable to stick with any line of reasoning or to make a coherent comment. Evidently democrats can’t afford to pay people with actual brains to troll for them any longer.

flyaway says:

uh…Gaby Giffords, and the five who was killed whn one of ‘your boys’, shot her. ‘Course that was a few years ago…

itsy_bitsy says:

That had nothing to do with any Republican. The guy, in actuality was left leaning, but he was also nuts. In fact Sarah Palin is in the process of suing the pants off of the NYT for suggesting that this guy was a “follower” of hers, and guess what she is going to win millions. In fact the Times has already extended an apology, and stated that they were dead wrong (which they knew before the printed that crap). On top of that he a heavy drug user who had been in trouble before. Sorry but you’re busted on that lie!

11. Avatar
    LouAnnWatson says:

the juggernaut that is trump…he doesn’t care what they think. if he did, he would never have become successful in manhattan commercial real estate to begin with…

12. Avatar
    devere says:

What would the left think of Pericles’ speech? That’s easy, the same thing they thimk of Trump’s. What’s really scary is that they undoubtedly think the wrong side won the battles of Marathon and Salamis.

13. Avatar
    Esau's Message says:

The criticisms of the speech are so banal as to merit no notice whatsoever. The writers fixed upon their objective, but were faced with a speech that did not fit their pre-fabricated modular criticisms. And so they resorted to their vapid Cultural Marxism. It was racist, it was chauvinistic, it was divisive, it was too Christian, etc. And it all falls flat because there’s not a word of truth in it. They themselves don’t believe their own arguments. But they did hit their deadline. They criticized Trump as their producers and editors expected. And then they took off for the Hamptons. “See you at brunch tomorrow.” This is why we call them hacks.

14. Avatar
    Puddle_Glum says:

I’m not a WASP but when we emigrated to the States (back in ’58) it didn’t take long to become rooted in Anglo Saxon ways. They were superior to the ways of Italy, though my parents and many like them took to AS/American ways because the mindset was present and just waiting for an opportunity to flow outward.

Merit of all make and model is elemental in all healthy and living cultures. And so Pericles and whoever it was who wrote Beowulf are brothers.

15. Avatar
    Birdman says:

The liberals would not be so obsessed with Trump if they truly thought him to be inept.

16. Avatar
    Sean says:

This article’s headline should have been, “Sniveling Beta Males Resent Trumpian Self-Assurance and Pride in Western Civilization.”

No need to even bother calling them left-wingers anymore, ‘Sniveling Beta Males’ will do just fine.

17. Avatar
    Trumppanzee says:

Thats right Roger talk about how we can never be beaten then support a man who kicks his own intelligence services to the ground and believes Putin who denies attacking us… and they will be back..to join Trump in undermining the US. Wave all the flags you want but in fact Trump is Putins pet and in spite of all the talk he will do nothing NOTHING for America with his empty slogans and feel good attacks.
    If you really believe Trump will make America Great then you need to see a doctor..
    No wonder the left thinks the right is stupid!

18. Avatar
    True Brigand says:

Oh for heaven’s sake: a bunch of white men whining about how hard it is to be white men and Kimball thinks the only chest-less, politically correct ditto-heads are on the Left. And Trump has some speaking about how “We empower women as pillars of our society and of our success.” His administration and the Republican controlled Congress appear to be working overtime to push women back, also to screw with workers of all color and gender and destroy the environment. Whoopee, Western Civilization…yeah, right.

19. Avatar
    David Baerwald says:

This is an extremely comical piece, and the author even more so. It all reminds one of the ludicrously over-enthusiastic descriptions of a real estate salesman.

20. Avatar
    Red Allover says:

I personally find it extremely pleasant to be told that the culture I live and grew up in is the best and most wondefullest that ever existed or ever will exist and I resent any spoil sport “historian” or journalist who would question the nice feeling of superiority it gives me.

21. Avatar
    Dan Warren says:

Great column.

The Left is a Cancer upon Western Civilization…….The Left is nothing more than an Idiotic Cult…unfortunately, it is a CULT which has largely gathered the reins of power in it’s hands across much or most of Western Civilization.

I have been waiting for a President who would take up this cause, of opposing the Leftist Cult…and President Trump appears more and more to share this view.

The People may have woken up to what Leftism really is……or possibly they ARE waking up. I sense that President Trump will very much help this along to expose the Leftist Cult for what it is…a silly, inane CULT that develops a wish list of inane and ever changing agendas…all of which seem to pointed at the throat of Western Civilization to slice our wind pipe.

Hatred of Western Civilization is one of the core tenets of the Cult of Leftism.

I sense that there are many people who are warming up to president Trump. This may take much more time, but I sense it is possible that president Trump might yet become quite popular.

I became a supporter of his in January 2016 when I watched a video of one of his rallies….and realized that he is ‘the Natural’ …….

I am wondering whether he may become one of the most consequential presidents in history.

He is, of course HATED by the LEFT…..but the LEFT is nothing more than a dysfunctional CULT Movement, which has captured one of the two major parties in America, and much of the institutions across Western Civilization. The LEFT is a Cancer upon Western Civilization, and it needs to be crushed………Trump may be the man to crush it….and begin the Reconquesta of Western Civilization….if so, he will be the greatest president since Lincoln.

22. Avatar
    JungleCogs says:

“ditto-heads”? That term has been taken… try, “bubble brains”, that’s a much better fit.

23. Avatar
    DoninAcworthGeorgia says:

Many Kudos for a well written group of left, right, and middle comments. It’s the right way to express ourselves. No two of us will ever agree totally but we don’t have to.

24. Avatar
    Bad Wolf says:

Trump is fearless. Trump never quits – he keeps on punching even when he is on the ropes, always on offense. Trump is willing to defend his beliefs and take on the Republican establishment, the Democrat establishment, the leftist media establishment and to beat them all. Trump is the only one to recognize and deal with the problems which the Progressive (AKA rebranded Marxist) and Conservative establishments neglected – the wipeout of our industrial/energy/coal real economy capabilities impoverishing the middle of the country as a result of misguided environmentalist policies, terrible trade deals, excessive corporate regulation and taxation; the impoverishment of our underclass and working classes by importing 20M+ low skill, low wage illegals to compete with them for jobs; the suffocation of multiple industrial sectors under the weight of hyper-regulation by deep state bureaucrats oblivious to the effects of their regulations; the idiotic policy of importing millions of Muslims from regions where vetting is impossible and where polls show that overwhelmingly the population believes in ideas incompatible with life in a secular democracy (primacy of Sharia law, superior legal rights of Muslims over non-Muslims, Caliphate as the only legitimate form of government, right of Islam to preside over all other religions). Trump is not only unafraid of the main tool of the leftist armory as defined by Alinsky – their use of the media they control to vilify the conservative by calling them one or more of their playbook of terms of vituperation – sexist, racist, homophobic, Islamophobic, nazi, fascist, or whatever epithet du jour the left manufactures – and instead just plows through it to employ his counter weapon – the use of targeted Alinsky techniques of re-branding his opponent by using a bon mot that captures the core weakness of the opponent and brands them with it – crooked Hillary or low energy Jeb Bush or little Marco or Lying Ted or fake news CNN – in each case using a phrase that captures their specific weakness – corruption or lack of drive or petty lightweightness or twisting of words or making up false narratives as a habit. Trump is brilliant at seeing his opponents weakness and striking at it cleanly. While fastidious conservatives who were repeatedly beaten like a drum complain that Trump is being mean or callous or petty, all Trump does is win and progress the aims of the American people.

Trump has emerged as an effective defender of the principles of Classical Liberalism that America was founded on – free enterprise, freedom of thought, speech and belief, low taxation, empowerment of the individual not the state to make the important decisions in their own lives and to determine how the wealth they create should be expended. Conservatives share many of his principles but are more concerned with being pure in arguments about what government should do than they are in driving the actual decisions that will be made in the real world in the right direction favoring liberty – AKA they would rather maintain their ideological purity and let the left triumph in reality then make necessary deals as Reagan did that move the needle in the direction of liberty.

25. Avatar
    Delegator says:

There is basically nothing wrong with Trump’s speech. What is completely hilarious is that any of the mindless drones below actually think that Trump believes what he is saying. Empowering women as pillars of society — pure Trump, right? Cherishing inspiring works of art that honor God? Sure, go find a portrait in Trump’s buildings that isn’t of himself.

Kudos to the speech writer, but the words are belied by the speaker.

26. Avatar
    Ms Liz says:

Sadly, American Greatness is rapidly becoming an oxymoron with this President in charge.

When I read the responses to this column I see otherwise intelligent readers bending over backwards to justify the actions of a small, petty, selfish man who is obsessed with being the smartest guy in the room–as opposed to actually learning anything.

I’m going to reread this column a year from now after Trump has resigned, been impeached- or worse. I respectfully suggest all of you do likewise.

27. Avatar
    Neverquietagain says:

Yes, Pericles, apparently. “TRUMP: But President Xi, from the time I took office, he has not, they have not been currency manipulators. Because there’s a certain respect because he knew I would do something or whatever. But more importantly than him not being a currency manipulator the bigger picture, bigger than even currency manipulation, if he’s helping us with North Korea, with nuclear and all of the things that go along with it, who would call, what am I going to do, say, “By the way, would you help us with North Korea? And also, you’re a currency manipulator.” It doesn’t work that way…And the media, some of them get it, in all fairness. But you know some of them either don’t get it, in which case they’re very stupid people, or they just don’t want to say it. You know because of a couple of them said, “He didn’t call them a currency manipulator.” Well, for two reasons. Number One, he’s not, since my time. You know, very specific formula. You would think it’s like generalities, it’s not. They have — they’ve actually — their currency’s gone up. So it’s a very, very specific formula. And I said, “How badly have they been,” … they said, “Since you got to office they have not manipulated their currency.” That’s Number One, but much more important, they are working with us on North Korea. Now maybe that’ll work out or maybe it won’t. Can you imagine? …”

28. Avatar
    eugah says:

If Trump knows who Pericles was or even what civilization he was part of, I’ll give this insipid author 5 obols.

Trump does more to wreck Western civilization with every tweet he fires off than any comp-lit faculty in the world.

29. Avatar
    Ms Liz says:

Pericles: The Parthenon

Trump: A solar powered, eighteen-foot-high, laser triggered Mexican border wall painted with Miss Universe portraits and guarded by a moat of radioactive pirhanas…all ten feet of it.

30. Avatar
    Joseph Wisgirda says:

What I want to know is how Kimball can ever feel clean again write articles . “Keep America’s enemies guessing” …. well guess what they are NOT guessing about? That this whole country is guessing about what he will do next, and what lies will spill out of his mouth next, and how deep his treachery goes with Putin.